Chapter 35 ◈ Captured

I gripped onto the bars with my cuffed hands, my knuckles turning white

I gripped onto the bars with my cuffed hands, my knuckles turning white. "What the hell do you want from me?"

"Oh, what the hell do you want from me?" Hermes mimicked in a childish voice. "Why do you think everything's about you? You think you're so special and all, but guess what, sister? You're not!"

I stared at him coldly.

He rolled his eyes at my silent retort. "Fine. Yes, it's about you, loser. Who else do you think we came here for?"

My eyes narrowed. "We?"

As if on queue, the police lady I talked to earlier walked into the holding cell area with a longbow on her hand. She tossed the police cap she wore away, revealing her short white hair.

"Did you get her?" she asked, then glanced at me. "Oh, you already did. Good."

"Hey! Don't underestimate my skills, moon girl," Hermes said. "She didn't suspect a thing. My acting was flawless."

Moon girl? Artemis?

"So there wasn't an Officer Williams, huh?" I gritted under my teeth. "You made that person up and pretended that my uncle was missing so you could meet me here the other day."

Hermes smirked. "Not exactly."

"What do you mean?"

"Do I even have to spell it out? Fine." He crossed his arms. "The Officer Williams you've talked to the other day was a real person, but I was playing the role of the so-called Agent Cortez that day."

My eyes widened as a sudden realization hit me. That was why he kept asking me weird questions during the interrogation.

He nodded like he read my mind. "Yep, that was me. I played that scene well, didn't I?"

I frowned. "You were a bit fishy, I admit."

"Whatever you say." He said in a huff. "What's important is you didn't know it was me all along."

"Cut the talk, Hermes." Artemis slung her bow on her shoulder. "We have to move before the police wake up."

I stepped back as Hermes opened the bars wide and slowly walked up to me.

"W-what do you think you're doing?"

He groaned. "We're going to kidnap you, obviously."

"What?" I inched away as he cornered me in the room, hands reaching for my cuffed ones.

He grabbed me by force and pulled me out of the cell. Artemis stood in front of me with eyebrows furrowed.

My nostrils flared as she looked at me like I was some sort of peasant. "If this is all some sick joke to lure me out, what did you do to Uncle Ben?"

Artemis shrugged. "Don't know, don't care. We heard he was gone, so we just used that as an opportunity, that's all."

"How dare you—"