Chapter 33 ◈ Suspicions at the Station

After that dreaded phone call, I explained to Pierre what happened, telling him I had to leave for the police station

After that dreaded phone call, I explained to Pierre what happened, telling him I had to leave for the police station. In return, he said he would go with me to help but I refused. I didn't want him to get involved in the situation, but still, he wouldn't let me and insisted on calling his mom Maria to give us a ride. I reluctantly accepted the offer and a couple of hours later, we were in front of the police station in the city's downtown.

The second Pierre and I stepped onto the sidewalk, a chilly evening gale blew in our direction. The cold wind made contact with my bare skin, giving me goosebumps.

Pierre turned to me in concern. "You okay?"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." I pressed my lips into a thin line. "The wind's a bit chilly tonight, but it's nothing I can't handle."

We both strode to the entrance of the police station, leaving Maria back in the car. By the door stood two middle-aged men who walked towards us.

"You must be Amelia Kingston." One of them, a bearded man in plain uniform, reached out a hand, and I shook it. "I'm Officer Fredrick Williams, we spoke on the phone earlier."

I nodded. "Yeah. . . Um, this is my friend Pierre, he wanted to come along with me for tonight."

The two of them shook hands.

Officer Williams pointed to the man standing beside him. "Miss Kingston, this is special agent Cortez. He's the one who's handling your uncle's case recently."

The man gave us a subtle nod. Unlike Williams, this guy wore a crisp suit and tie. His hands were in his pockets and his expression, a pair of calculating eyes and a small frown, was plastered across his unusually young face. Basically, he looked like someone whom you don't want to mess with.

"I suppose you have a lot of questions you want to be answered." Williams swept his hand to the entrance. "Let's get inside."

With the two authorities on the lead, we promptly entered the building.

Passing by some policemen and two elderly couple talking near a waiting area, we headed to a room with a metallic door at the end of the tiled hallway. The officer opened the door and the agent came in first, with me not far behind him. Pierre was about to go inside when Officer Williams cut him off with his hand.

"Sorry, young man, but I can't let you in," he said. "This is the interrogation room, and we only want Miss Kingston in for the questioning."

"What?" I glanced between Pierre and the officer. "No way that's gonna happen. If he doesn't come along, then so will I."

Pierre gave me a small smile. "No, it's fine, Amelia. I'll just wait here for you."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded in reply.

Office Williams gently moved me inside the room. "You can have a seat in the waiting area, Pierre. We won't take long."