Chapter 13 ◈ The Goddess' Confession

Voices

Voices.

Echoes.

Whispers.

Fragments of words passed through my ear, phrases uttered by people I deemed close to me or by strangers. My mind's eye saw them gaze down at my unconscious self, talking about me in broken strings of words.

I saw Athena talking to a man in a white coat, who probably was the doctor. Her posture looked composed but there was a hint of anxiety in her usually serious face. Her brothers were nowhere to be seen.

The scene shifted.

Uncle Ben was sitting at my bedside while holding my hand. One side of his face had tiny scars and bruises from the explosion at the museum. He had circles under his eyes too, making him look like he fought with someone. His lips were moving, like he was talking to me, but I can't hear a thing of what he was saying.

The scene changed once again.

The doctor from earlier was now talking to Uncle Ben. From the way Ben was speaking to him, the doctor told him some bad news. The news was probably so bad that it made Ben look very disheveled and stressed.

I wanted to wake up and tell them that I was okay, but try as I might, my body didn't want to. It wouldn't let me. I couldn't do anything but to only listen to bits and pieces of their conversations.

"Amelia. . ."

". . . took so long to. . ."

"She saved me. . ."

". . .needs to rest. . ."

". . . glowing at that time. . ."

Glowing? What glowing? What are they talking about?

I tried to listen to know more but my mind wandered once more and a second later, I was standing in a grassy meadow. The sky looked beautiful with its red and orang—

Wait a minute. This place looks oddly familiar, but I forgot why.

"That's because you came here before," a soft female voice answered.

I turned to the source of the voice. My eyebrows furrowed when I saw who it was.

"Hera? What are you doing here?"

Hera gave me one of her sweet smiles. "I should be asking that to you, darling," she replied, then swept her hand at the area behind her. "This place here is my dominion."

"Your dominion?"

"My home, my abode," she said.

"Oh, sorry," I said. "I didn't know."

Hera cocked her head. "May I ask again, darling, what are you doing here? Visiting me here and all?"

I looked around and shrugged. "Honestly, I. . . don't know. I passed out in the museum and then I got here a while later. That's all that I remember."