Chapter 21 ◈ On Guard

As soon as Poseidon's hand came down, Zeus rushed towards my direction, the sharp tip of his sword pointed straight at me

I quickly side-stepped and swung my staff to him. He jumped out of the way and slashed his sword at my staff, the two weapons clashing. We both pressed our sword and staff against each other, with Zeus pushing me back harder than I could do to him.

He slowly pushed his blade towards my face. I gritted my teeth as I felt the cold metal graze my cheek.

"Is that all you've got, Amelia?" Zeus grinned. "I thought I've taught you better."

"Yes, you. . . did!" I kneed him hard on his abdomen, making him stumble. I stepped back as far as I could to keep my distance from him.

He winced but quickly gained back his balance. He laughed.

"Man, you got me there!" His expression suddenly changed. "And I won't let you do that again."

He lunged at me. I tried jumping out of the way, but I was a second too late. I hissed as I felt a sharp sting on my left arm. Blood started to ooze out of the wound. I gripped it with my good arm to keep the blood from flowing, leaving me in a vulnerable position.

"Argh!" I grumbled as I put pressure on my injury.

Zeus stared at me with expressionless eyes. I narrowed my own as I tried to get through his mask, but he was hiding his emotions so well that I wasn't sure what he was thinking.

Wait a minute. I could read his thoughts to know his next moves! Why didn't I think of this before?

I stood up tall with my chin up and grasped my staff with both of my hands, ignoring the pain I was currently feeling. I took a deep breath and let my power do the rest.

Zeus looked alert at my new resolve. He gripped tightly on his sword and slashed. I parried my staff to stop the hit, and it did.

He then thrust his sword to my other side. I easily blocked his attack.

We exchanged blow after blow. Where he countered, I blocked. Where he stepped, I followed. The injury in my arm didn't bother me anymore as I continued reading Zeus's attacks like an open book.

After a long exchange, Zeus stepped back to catch his breath, his eyes never wavering from me. Panting, I gave him a tired but satisfied smirk while I leaned on my staff for support.

I think I'm kinda enjoying this.

"How are you doing tha—" He paused, the realization dawning upon him, then pointed at me accusingly. "You. . . you were using your powers."

"So what?" I said, shrugging nonchalantly. "It's not part of the rules."

He grinned. "Well then. If that's the case, there's nothing that says that I can't do this!"