Chapter 38 ◈ Broken Pieces

After my near-death experience with Vulcan, Demetrius led me to a room deep inside the mansion

After my near-death experience with Vulcan, Demetrius led me to a room deep inside the mansion. As we walked along, we passed by fewer maids and butlers as Demetrius took more and more twists and turns. I didn't even bother to take note of where I was going since I would just get myself lost anyway.

Demetrius unlocked the door and let me inside first. Every piece of furniture that was in the room was almost identical to the ones in the bedroom I was in earlier, but unlike the green theme, his room had a combination of gold and red colors to it. There were also some items that looked personal which dotted the place, like the large desk near the window and the tall shelf filled with old books beside it.

He ushered me to the leather seats near the room's fireplace. The springy couch gave in as I gently settled onto it. After closing the door, Demetrius sat down on a chair across the area, gazing at me with gleaming eyes.

"Would you like some tea?"

"Um. . . no thanks," I said. "I'm not into drinking tea."

"Then what do you like, Amelia?" he asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing. I just want to know why I'm here, please."

"Patience, young lady." Demetrius smiled. "I know you haven't eaten anything since your arrival. Just tell me what you want and I'll call in Jean-Paul to bring you food."

Shrugging, I told him what food I was craving for, and since he insisted so much, I kinda ordered some things that were way over-the-top just to see if he would really bring them. But soon enough, two maids came in. One of them had a tray full of food while the other had one with a porcelain teapot and a cup. They placed them on the wooden table in front of us and bowed at Demetrius before leaving the room.

He looked at my tray. "I didn't know you had a taste for Japanese sushi."

My nose wrinkling, I pushed the plate of sushi aside and took the glass of water standing near it and drank. The clear liquid passed through my parched throat and I sighed in relief.

"Trust me, I didn't know either." I placed the glass down. "Now, about my questions. . ."

"Not yet. Eat first, ask later," he said, gesturing at the food. "I guess that you're hungry since you've ordered so much."

My eyes narrowed. Is he trying to distract me or what? I feel like he's buying himself some time because he doesn't want to answer anything.

I took a fork from the tray and poked the grilled steak, suspicious of the food served to me.

"Well? What are you waiting for?"

"How do I know if you didn't put some poison on the food?" I pointed my fork at him accusingly.

He raised a brow. "Why would I do that?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "Even if you've offered me a nice room and good food, I don't trust anyone easily, especially the ones who've kidnapped me."