Chapter 17 ◈ Back to School

I couldn't believe what I just knew

I didn't know what to think of the things Ben told me at the hospital. For the first time, I felt entirely bewildered, and I knew it won't be the last time I would feel that way.

Finally, after a couple of hours riding the bus, I reached Olympian High's towering gates. I got off the bus and headed to the guard house for me to get permission to enter. As soon as I got there, the same guard from before looked up and asked my purpose of visit.

"Um, I'm a student here, and I want to get in," I told him. "I came to you with my friend last week to get out."

"Don't remember." He shrugged, then held out his hand. "Your slip."

"Excuse me?"

"Your excuse slip," he repeated, exasperated. "If you're a student here and just came from your break, you'll have to have an excuse slip, which a student from here would probably know."

I mentally groaned. Why do I feel like he's being sarcastic?

"Wait a sec." I took my pack from my back and searched its contents, but I couldn't find any piece of paper that looked like my excuse slip. I searched again, double-checking every pocket in my bag, but I still couldn't find the paper.

"Shoot. I must've lost it in the museum," I grumbled, then looked at the guard sheepishly. "I lost the slip, but I have my ID here. Is that fine?"

The guard shook his head. "No, miss. You have to present your slip for you to come in."

"What? Come on, please!" I pleaded. "I got into a terrible accident and I have to catch up with my classes!"

"Sorry, but I'm afraid that's not possible," he said. "It's against the rules of the school."

"Please, just let me in this once," I begged. "This won't happen again, I promise."

"No, I can't do that," he said, his tone firm. "No exceptions."

I groaned. This can't be happening! I have to find a way to go in, or I'll be stuck here outside for who knows what. I'll get behind my school works and tests, and I won't be able to know more about my necklace from Athena and the others!

Wait a minute. Athena. Maybe I could call her so she could tell the guard to let me in!

I took out my phone and searched for her number. When I saw it, I immediately dialed it and waited for a few seconds until it got answered.

"Who is this, and how did you get my number?" she started. "If this is another pran—"

"Athena, it's me, Amelia," I said. "I need your help."

"Amelia? You're awake?" she asked, pure surprise in her tone. "But how—"

"I'll tell you later, but right now I need to ask you a favor," I told her. "I lost my excuse slip and I can't get in the school. Could you please help me out?"