Chapter 09 ◈ Bow of Artemis

Closing the car door shut, I waved at Maria and Pierre by the open window

Closing the car door shut, I waved at Maria and Pierre by the open window. "Thanks for the lift."

"Anytime, anak," Maria said. "Don't be shy to ask us again, okay?"

I smiled. "I'll keep that in mind."

Pierre gave me a toothy grin. "See you on Monday!"

The moment the car drove off, I turned around and was met by a familiar face.

"Ben!"

He jogged in my direction. "Mel!"

Both of us came to each other in a bone-crushing hug. The scent of his cologne, mixed with the aroma of his home-baked muffins, hit my nose. It was our house's signature scent. After a few beats, we let go of our embrace.

"So, how are you?" Ben said. "How's Olympian High?"

I shrugged. "I'm fine, it's fine. Nothing too interesting."

Should I even tell him about my powers?

No. . . I don't want him to panic or something. He was already transferring me to different schools and towns because he was paranoid of someone chasing us, which he never bothered telling me the reason to, and telling him might just ruin the day.

"That's good to hear." Ben nodded, then looked beyond the road in front of us. "I saw you step out of a car that didn't look like it came from school."

I laughed nervously. "About the free school transportation thing. . . I read it wrong. There wasn't actually one, so I asked a friend for a favor to give me a lift."

He raised a brow. "But why didn't you just call me again?"

"It's nothing." I waved my hand dismissively. "I didn't want you to bother going all the way."

Shaking his head, Ben ruffled my auburn hair. "Thoughtful as always. Let's get inside the museum and talk more."

The Ancient History Museum boasted a vast collection of different artworks and artifacts, ranging from huge dinosaur skeletons to Egyptian hieroglyphics on stone slabs, and ancient scrolls with faded writing to medieval weapons and armory. These had their own section in the museum where visitors could take a peek at them either from a glass display or behind fences.

"So, Ben, why are we here exactly?" I asked as I trailed behind him.

"I had to talk to you about something important," he replied. "Since this is one of your favorite places, I figured we would meet up here. Plus, I won't be able to show you this."

I didn't notice that we already got to the far side of the museum. When I looked around, we were surrounded by old artifacts on glass displays and pedestals. And when I said old, I meant it-will-crumble-to-dust-with-one-touch old.

"The Greek History section?" I turned to Ben in confusion. "But I know this place like the back of my hand."

Ben used to take me here on weekends when I was younger. I loved seeing the big statues and the beautiful paintings, but my favorite was the Greek History section. Since I loved Greek mythology so much, it would be fair for me to love its history too.