Chapter 06 ◈ Principal

A while later, the nurse came into my room to check on me, asking me if I was feeling anything out of the ordinary

A while later, the nurse came into my room to check on me, asking me if I was feeling anything out of the ordinary. I told her about the headache I had and she prescribed me some painkillers. Thankfully, the medicine worked its magic and I felt better as new in minutes. Probably an hour later, the Olympian siblings took me out of the school clinic so I could meet their mother.

The moment we were in the hallway, Athena cleared her throat and looked at her brothers. She shot both of them an 'I'm-outta-here' look before heading off.

"Wait, why's Athena not coming with us?" I asked.

Not that I wanted her to be near me. The girl was too mean for me to handle.

Zeus shrugged. "For some reason, she's been avoiding Mom recently. No idea why."

"She's not much of a mama's girl, then," I joked.

"She has her reasons," Poseidon said. "But for now, let's get going."

The two brothers led the way out of the building. We passed by the rest of the school buildings and a wide garden filled with various flora until we stopped in front of the mini-Parthenon building I spotted earlier.

I exhaled. Okay. . . It's just a normal visit to the principal. Poseidon said that she'll only talk to me about all this Chosen stuff and whatnot. It's not like I got into trouble or anything in my first day of class. Yet.

"You okay, Ames?" Zeus suddenly asked, interrupting my train of thought. "I know we're not close—not yet, anyways—but you wouldn't mind if I call you that, right?"

I rapidly blinked at him. "Huh? Um, yeah. Sure."

He chuckled. "You're nervous, aren't you?"

I pursed my lips. "How could you tell?"

He gestured at the necklace intertwined with my fingers. I didn't realize I was fiddling with the accessory until he pointed it out. Smiling sheepishly, I quickly hid the necklace under my blouse and put my hand in my blazer's pocket.

"You don't have to worry, Amelia," Poseidon told me, his tone reassuring.

"Yeah, he's right," Zeus added. "Just relax. Our mom's pretty chill."

Inside, at one side of the lobby was a desk similar to the one in the dorms. A spectacled lady sat behind it typing on her computer. The moment she perked up, I turned away to see Zeus and Poseidon already in the elevator. I hurried inside just as the doors slid close.

From the three buttons on one side of the doors, Poseidon pressed the uppermost one, prompting the elevator to move up. A second later, the doors slowly opened, revealing a rustic-looking office.

At the center was a large wooden desk with a black office chair behind it. Four round chairs were at the front of the desk. A coffee-brown bookcase was installed on one of the walls, books of all colors and sizes filling its shelves to the brim. A woman with a book at hand stood in front of it when she turned around and saw us.