Chapter 23 ◈ Volcanic Interruption

Athena and I headed out of the dorm to go to our respective classes the next morning

Athena and I headed out of the dorm to go to our respective classes the next morning. Before we went out, we both agreed to meet at the library after class hours to play a last round of chess to conclude her very-short-but-still-okay strategy training.

I got through my classes smoothly and was finally able to catch up with the current lessons that we're having. I had some of my subjects with Pierre and we also ate lunch together. Unlike our last conversation where he accused me of not wanting to hang out with him anymore, he was more relaxed and cheerful while we were talking to each other.

Soon enough, I was done with the last of my classes. Going out of the classroom, I headed to the library where I'll meet with Athena for the game. I haven't gone far from the class when I felt Pierre sneaking up to me.

I turned to my friend. "Hi!"

"Hey, Amelia!" he greeted. "Where are you going?"

"Well, I'm going to the library," I replied. "I'll have to meet with Athena to play chess against her."

"Chess? That sounds interesting," he said. "Can I come with you and watch you two play?"

I blinked. "Uh. . . I don't know, Pierre. Athena's not much of a people person. She also doesn't like anyone else watching her play."

"Please? I promise I won't bother you two," he said. "I'll just sit in another table. You won't notice that I'm even watching."

After a few moments of thinking, I sighed. "Fine, but I can't guarantee that Athena will allow you to watch us, okay?"

"Yeah, I got it." He grinned, then he broke into a sprint. "I'll race you! The loser will treat the other in the dining hall later!"

His action made some of the students in the hallway look at him and then at me.

"Wha— Pierre! Wait for me!" I chuckled, shaking my head.

Ignoring the people's stares, I ran to catch up with him, determined to win his race.

Unfortunately, Pierre got to the library first, so that means I had to treat him later after the chess game, which I didn't really mind.

The two of us made our way to the far end of the library where Athena and I played chess yesterday. From there, Athena sat on the same chair of the same table reading the same book. There was already a chessboard in front of her with the pieces arranged. Like yesterday, Athena chose the black pieces so that left me with the white ones. Again.

Why do I feel that she wants me to lose by her strategy of 'Amelia goes first so I can predict her pathetic moves'?

"Hey, Athena!" I said to get her attention.

Athena looked up from her book. "Oh, you're finally here." She looked at Pierre, who was just standing beside me. "Who's this?"

"He's Pierre, a friend of mine." I gestured at him.