Chapter 39 ◈ Memories Beyond Time (Part 1)

The next thing I knew, I was crashing down face-first on the ground

The next thing I knew, I was crashing down face-first on the ground. Even with the smooth surface catching my fall, my body, especially my head, felt the impact nonetheless. Groaning, I pushed myself up and rubbed my sore forehead.

Why do I keep on falling down whenever I enter people's heads?

As I stood up, my gaze landed on the bizarre place I was in. An endless tiled path spiraled in front of me like a roller coaster. Little white balls of light floated around, illuminating the darkness. For some reason, a ticking sound echoed in my ears, something akin to a a clock.

I expected to be in a straight corridor with doors just like in Ben's mind, but I guess I can't choose what happens in other people's thoughts.

I blinked. Wait. . . There are no doors? How will I get into Demetrius's memories now?

A shining arched door flew in and opened, revealing a bright landscape at the other side. Curious, I reached my hand inside the door, and the portal sucked me right in.

A second later, I found myself standing on a grassy field in the middle of the day. From the distance, I spotted a vast lake with people walking nearby it. I turned around and saw a familiar mansion loom over me.

Demetrius's mansion? Why did I get back here?

The clopping and neighing of horses sounded nearby, probably somewhere in front of the mansion. I strode towards the building to see what was happening, keeping myself close to the brick walls. Long vines and shrubs covered the house so I had to push them aside so I could hide.

I peeked from behind and saw horses with a carriage behind them pull into a stop. One of the coachmen stepped down and opened the cart's door. There, a man in a regal suit emerged.

"We ought to leave the land as soon as we can," the man declared. "There is no time to waste."

The coachman lent a hand to the woman in even more regal clothes, a royal red dress with a large closed skirt, and helped her step out.

"But my love, what about the mansion, our land?" the lady said. "We cannot just leave everything behind."

"I do not care if we abandon our property here, Elizabeth," the man said, walking towards the mansion's entrance. "Our riches will not save us from the plague. Besides, the New World has many opportunities to offer, or so I have heard."

"But Gregory, our children," Elizabeth said just as two kids jumped out of the carriage. "That place— what was it called again, the Americas?— I do not think it is a good idea to let them live their young years in distant, foreign lands."

Gregory waved a hand dismissively. "Nonsense, they will manage just fine. We are Kingstons after all. We let nothing stand in our way."

One of them, a boy in a golden suit, ran up to Gregory's side. "Father, are we really going away? I do not want to leave."