Chapter 26 ◈ Hidden Hammer

Poseidon and I began walking once more

Poseidon and I began walking once more. Many exhausting steps later, we finally arrived at the top of Mount Vesuvius.

Unlike the vegetation-filled base where we started our climb, Vesuvius's peak was mostly dry and covered with rock. A wide, round-like crater filled with more rocks gaped at us. Down below, steep slopes descended all the way to one place: a huge, dark hole.

I hope the Artifact isn't somewhere inside that gap. I wouldn't dare go down and possibly cause an eruption.

Shrugging the dark-as-the-hole thought off my head, I then turned my gaze to the scenery beyond.

Giovanni wasn't kidding when he said we'll get the best view of Naples from here. I could really see the whole city in all directions. The buildings, the roads. I swear I could even spot the ocean from the horizon!

"The view's. . . breathtaking!" I exclaimed as the dry but cool wind breeze blew my hair. "I'll definitely take a lot of pictures! You never get to visit a mountain every day. In Italy at that!"

Giovanni chuckled. "Take as much as you like."

I took out my phone and began snapping photos of the mountain from different angles and views, mostly which were panoramas and zoom shots.

Then, I took some selfies with cute poses and gestures. I looked weird in most of them, but I didn't care. I was at the top of the world!

I turned to the others, who were just standing around idly. "Hey, guys. Let's take a group photo!"

"No," Athena said. "Be serious right now. We should be looking fo—"

"Of course, Amelia." Poseidon smiled. "Take a picture and it'll last longer."

"But, Posei—"

Zeus nudged at his sister. "Come on, Athena. It's Amelia's first time traveling, so don't be such a killjoy."

"Fine." Athena exhaled. "Just one photo, and that's it."

"Yay!"

The four of us gathered in one place with the mountain's crater behind us. As if in queue, Giovanni came in front and motioned to give him my phone, which I did.

"You can join us if you like, Giovanni."

He shook his head, smiling. "It's okay, amica. I will just be a stranger in your picture, but let me do the honor of capturing your moment, okay?"

He took a few steps back and adjusted his hold on my phone.

"Ready. . ." He gave us a thumbs up. "One. . . Two. . . Three!"

Click!

I skipped to Giovanni and swiped my phone from him to check the photo.

Standing at the front was me with a wide grin plastered on my face and arms spread wide at my friends. Poseidon was on my right, his lip slightly curved up on one side. Meanwhile, Zeus and Athena stood on my left, with Zeus's hand on my shoulder and his other hand making two horns behind Athena, who had her arms on her hips.