Chapter 20 ◈ Breakfast Before Battle

Tomorrow came like a flash, and I felt more nervous with every second that passed by

I couldn't sleep last night, not because of my cramps from long hours of training, but because of the nerve-wracking thought of facing Zeus in a fight, a trial to test my skills at that.

I've seen Zeus fight before when he was fighting against Hermes in tiger form, and I could easily say that he could cut my head off if he wanted to. His skills were far more superior than mine, which I just acquired from a weaponry crash course he gave me for less than a week.

It was a Saturday, so Zeus told me we'll start sometime in the morning. The minute the sunlight outside our dorm's window shone on my face, I groggily rose up from my bed and stretched my arms and legs around. While doing so, I saw Athena sitting on a chair reading a book.

"Rise and shine, Amelia," she said. "You have an upcoming duel with Zeus in about two hours."

"Good morning to you too." I yawned. "Don't even remind me of that thing, Athena. You're making me even more nervous than I should be."

She smirked. "It's good to be nervous. That means you know how important it is for you to win."

"What if. . . I don't win?"

"Well, it's for Zeus to decide," she replied, shrugging. "He's the one who trained you, so he'll be the one to judge."

"Thanks a lot, Athena. Now I feel worked up." I rubbed my temples, trying to calm my nerves down.

"You're welcome," she said nonchalantly.

I groaned at her impassiveness and just went to the bathroom to freshen up and change from my pajamas to uniform. Athena was still busy with her book when I was done.

"Hey, you wanna have some breakfast at the dining hall?" I asked her.

She looked up and shook her head. "No, thank you. I've already had my meal a while ago."

"Oh, okay. I'll see you later then."

Soon enough, I arrived at the campus dining hall. The place was bustling with students coming from the dorms as well as teachers who were staying in the school's living quarters. Most of them were sitting together in their own groups, either chatting to each other or eating quietly.

Seeing that almost all of the tables were occupied, I hurried to the queue for me to get my own breakfast or I would be late for the duel. The line was a bit long so I had to wait for a while until it was my turn to place my order.

After I finally got my food, I began searching for a place to sit. I spotted an empty table with three chairs in the middle of the hall and went there. I settled in and started to eat.

I was halfway through my meal when I heard someone cough. I looked up and see a timid-looking Pierre standing in front of me with a tray of food in his hands.