Chapter 12 ◈ Museum Mania (Part 3)

I was going to die

I was going to die.

But then, a flash of bronze swiftly passed in front of me and intercepted the arrow. The arrow got stuck on the front of the shield, which clattered on the floor beside me.

"Are you hurt?" Athena asked, her voice surprisingly soft.

I stared at her a moment too long but shook my head in response.

Artemis lowered down her bow and glared at Athena. "How dare you?"

Athena smirked. "I dare."

"Then you'll get them next!"

She took more arrows from her quiver and started firing, the arrows turning silver when they got in contact with the Bow of Artemis. The silver arrows flew and came to Athena like a meteor shower. Athena dodged the arrows one by one with incredible speed until Artemis had one arrow left.

Artemis pounded her fist on the banister, leaving a small crack on the smooth marble. Hermes the cat jumped in fright. "That's it! You all gave me no choice!"

She took the last arrow from her quiver and loaded it on the bow and started chanting, the arrow glowing brighter than the Bow of Artemis. The energy from earlier started to gather around her.

While she was at it, I wasted no time and ran to Zeus, grabbing the bronze shield beside me. I passed by Athena along the way and gave her a subtle nod. She nodded back and we both went to her brother, who was on the floor with his bleeding leg.

As soon as we got beside him, Athena quickly tore off a sleeve from her blouse and started to prepare a makeshift bandage for Zeus's leg.

"Amelia, will you elevate his leg for me?" she asked as she tore a small piece of her other sleeve and attached it to the longer one. I slowly lifted Zeus's leg and Athena placed the cloth around his leg.

Zeus made a face at his sister, somewhere between a grin and a grimace. "Nice moves back there, sis— Ow! Man, it hurts! Be more gentle, will you?"

"Don't be such a baby." Athena rolled her eyes as she secured the bandage tightly. "We have to hurry before Artemis launches her last arrow. I bet she got something on her sleeve for it."

I turned to Artemis, who was done chanting and was about to launch the shining arrow. I had to shield my eyes because of the brightness radiating from it. "Uh, guys. . . She's going to do it!"

Zeus and Athena looked at the scene behind them. Both of them gulped.

"Give me Aegis. Now!"

I quickly handed Athena the shield a second before Artemis launched the arrow. It sailed through the air but stopped in midair and started vibrating.

"What's happening?" Zeus glanced at me and Athena.

"I don't know," Athena said, standing in front of us with her shield raised. "Be on your guard."