Chapter 28 ◈ Mission Vesuvius (Part 2)

When I reached the edge of the crater, I squatted and peeked down the slope

When I reached the edge of the crater, I squatted and peeked down the slope. The small figures of Athena and Zeus stood near a large, foreign object.

"Guys!" I yelled at them.

The two of them looked up. Zeus waved both of his hands around while Athena moved her hand to her ear.

"Amelia, we've finally got the Artifact out." She gestured her hand to the object next to her. "It's very heavy, so we'll need a hand on this one."

"Okay."

"Zeus will climb back up first so you two will pull the hammer up," she said, and Zeus went over to one of the dangling ropes. "I'll stay here and assist you below in case the Item falls down."

Zeus started climbing. It didn't take long before he was close enough for me to stretch my arm and pull him up.

"Hey, Ames." He patted my shoulder.

I raised a brow. "Ames? What is that?"

"Why not? I decided it's a cute nickname for you." He grinned.

"Okay," I said. "This is really not the good time to say that, you know."

"Yeah, my bad. Ames." He glanced at something behind me. "Wow, you really knock the hell out of Apollo. Guess you did learn something from me. Good job."

I turned away as heat began to rise on my cheeks.

"Thanks. . ."

Zeus cleared his throat. "Anyway. . . Let's pull this hammer up."

The two of us turned back to the crater where Athena just finished tying up the hammer's handle onto the two ropes.

"It's ready," she said. "Now, lift it up slowly."

Zeus and I stood in front of the rocks where the ropes were tied and gripped a portion of the rope.

He glanced at me. "Ready?"

I clenched at the rope, my knuckles almost turning white. "Yeah. Let's do this."

"And. . . Pull!"

As soon as we began hauling the Artifact, my arms felt like they were the ones being pulled at in a tug of war. My hands throbbed and some of my strength faded with every pull.

I planted my feet on the rocky ground as firmly as I could, but it seemed that it wasn't enough to keep myself from slowly sliding to the edge of the cliff.

They were not kidding when they said it was heavy. I felt like I was lifting a whole house!

"You okay?" Zeus asked. He didn't look like he was struggling.

"Yeah, maybe," I exhaled. "Athena, how much longer are we going to pull this thing?"

"You're already halfway there," she said. "Just keep going."