Chapter 10 ◈ Museum Mania (Part 1)

"Anyways, we both tried to look for—"

Suddenly, the lights turned off, turning the bright warehouse into a void of darkness.

I suppressed the urge to shriek and panic. I don't have a fear of the dark, but I'm not much of a fan of something or someone lurking around, waiting in the darkness.

"I can't see," I muttered.

I extended my arms around, trying to reach out and hold something for support. My skin tingled as I felt a cold metal surface. It was probably one of the pillars of the warehouse. I held onto it tightly like my life depended on it.

"Is everybody okay?" Ben asked in concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered.

"Same here," Robert said. "Benjamin, do you still have the Bow?"

"It's here safe and sound," Ben said. "Does anyone have a flashlight or a phone?"

I patted around my pockets, searching for my phone. "Wait, I think I have one."

"No need. I've got it." Robert blurted, flashing a penlight to me and Ben, its light a bit dim but enough for us to see each other's faces.

"Is a blackout normal?" Ben asked.

Robert shook his head. "We have emergency lights around the place, so the lights should've come back by now. Very strange." Robert took out a phone and turned it on, his face brightly illuminated by the screen. "I'll contact security to turn them on right now." He started pressing some buttons.

While waiting for Robert, my gaze roamed on our dark surroundings, my eyes squinting in an effort to see. I couldn't see much, only the faint silhouette of storage boxes and crates and something tall standing above those crates, a statue maybe.

Wait a minute. What's a statue doing up on the crates?

The statue suddenly moved, shifting to a crouch. It reached out behind its back and produced a bow and an arrow and took aim to. ..

Oh no! Robert!

Out of reflex, I activated my mind-reading powers and tried to read its thoughts. Surprisingly, I heard a female voice coming from the crouching figure.

Target acquired.

I didn't bother to hear the rest of her thoughts as I turned to Robert, who was eyeing his phone with worry.

"No one's answering my calls," I heard him say, but I didn't have time to think about it as I quickly rushed towards Robert.

Everything seemed to slow down as the silhouetted figure released the arrow and headed towards our direction, its weird-looking tip catching my eye.

"Robert, look out!" I shouted as I pinned him down the floor.

We both landed on the floor with a thud, getting a groan from Robert and a relieved sigh from me. The arrow swiftly zipped past us.