Chapter 03 ◈ Flickers and First Days

I don't think I'll be able to make it

I ran as fast as my legs could handle, swerving left and right to avoid bumping into other students, who gave me weird looks as I passed. As much as I liked the new uniform I was wearing, its tightness made it difficult for me to breathe properly.

Back at the dorm, I wasted no time and locked the room, removed my casual clothes and changed to my school uniform. I also hung my ID on my neck while I hid the necklace Ben gave me under my blouse.

It's probably nothing, but I'm a bit nervous that someone might steal it from me and sell it or something. Ben will get crazy at me if that ever happens.

As for my bags, I didn't have time to arrange them, so I simply placed them near one of the beds in the room, which I hoped was not my mean roommate's. I glanced at myself in the mirror and saw that some strands of my hair were sticking out all over the place.

Thank god I noticed it. I might have saved myself from a future embarrassing situation.

I fixed my hair, went out, and locked the door in under a second.

And now here I was, running like a weirdo, my heart beating against my chest. I was in the hallways of one of the school buildings where I was wandering around before until Pierre helped me. Taking my class schedule out from my pocket, I skimmed it to see what my first period was.

World Mythologies.

That's a new one. Hopefully it'll be as good as it sounds.

Eventually, I found my way to the floor where my particular class was held. I slowed down as I neared the classroom. From the looks of it, I wasn't late as some students still came in and out of the door.

Above me, fluorescent bulbs began to flicker like strobe lights. As they did, strange energy, probably from the lights, buzzed in the air. Whispers filled the area as several students looked over their heads in confusion.

"What's happening?"

"Probably another low voltage."

"It's, like what, the fourth or fifth time this week?"

"Why is the school not fixing this?"

White spots danced in my vision, and I looked ahead of me once more. The moment I entered the classroom, most of the students inside, who were either gossiping or swiping on their phones, turned to my direction and looked at me like I was an alien from another planet.

Gazing down to ignore their stares, I walked through the desks to reach an empty seat in the middle of the room. I sat on the chair just in time when the teacher entered.

"Good morning class," he greeted, roaming his gaze around the room. He stopped when he spotted me. "Ah, a new student! To what do we owe the pleasure, miss. . ."