Chapter 07 ◈ Library

The campus library was a larger replica of the principal's office

The campus library was a larger replica of the principal's office. It had the same tall Corinthian columns with beautiful carvings and everything else. What made it different from the office though was the statue of a lady standing next to the steps of the library. Her milk-colored features were intricately carved, from the curls of her tied hair to the tiny creases of her long dress. A stack of books was sculpted beside her while she held one above her palm.

"Mnemosyne, goddess of memory," the golden plaque under the statue read.

Fitting. It was said that libraries were her sacred place.

I hope going here makes up for the overall boredom I've experienced for the last several days.

Honestly, I thought Olympian High was going to be different from the millions of schools I enrolled to in the past. But, to be fair, school's not supposed to be not boring. I should be used to that fact now.

As my life went on with endless classes, piled-up projects and assignments, and the unbelievably insane amount of studying I had to do, there wasn't a minute in my day that I didn't think about the madness I was thrown into. Especially with all the powers and the Chosens business and the 'protecting the world' talk I had with Principal Rhea the other day.

It was distracting, to say the least.

Speaking of powers, I kinda got a hang of my mind-reading ability for the last couple of days. It was surprising, considering that I've watched and read enough stuff to know that people like me almost always lose control of their powers the first time around. For me, I could control my power like turning a light bulb on and off.

The things I heard from other people's thoughts were very interesting. A good number of my classmates didn't know that their friends are actually not friends.

I knew that reading people's minds without permission was morally wrong, but hey, I wouldn't know how things worked without trying them out. I planned on stopping eventually.

Is that the girl who. . .

Crunching footsteps sounded nearby as I heard the thought from someone's head. The voice had a shy tone to it, which was a bit familiar. . .

The footsteps stopped, and I turned around to see Pierre.

"Hey there." He waved.

"Hello."

"Your name's Amelia, right?" he asked, to which I nodded. "So, how was your first day here?"

"It was interesting," I replied. "And weird."

He laughed. "Really? That's good to know."

"So. . . you're, uh, going inside the library too?" I asked, pointing at the entrance.

"Yeah," he said. "I don't usually come here, but when I do, it's always because I've got trouble studying Math, particularly geometry."

I chuckled. "Well, I'm not much of a math person, but I'll try to help if I can."