Chapter 16 ◈ Truth

"Fine, you got me," Ben said

"Fine, you got me," Ben said. "I'll tell you. J-just keep this between you and me, alright?"

"You have my word," Athena said.

As Athena said those words, I can't stop myself from angrily stomping towards Uncle Ben and stand in front of him.

"Really, Uncle Ben? More secrets?" I seethed. " I-I can't believe you!"

For a second, I was surprised that I could speak audibly, but that thought vanished when I stared at Ben who was looking nervously at Athena.

"I thought you said you'll tell me everything!" I continued ranting. "Well, you were going to tell me when we were at the museum but that's not the point! Even though you let me inside your head, you tried hiding your conversation with Athena to me earlier. What do have to say about it, huh?"

Ben straightened himself on his chair. He then gestured at the other chair beside him.

"Take a seat, Athena," he said, pushing the chair near her. "This may take a long while."

"Why aren't you answering me?!" I yelled. "Why are you ignoring me like. . . like I'm invisible. . ." I sighed, the realization hitting me hard. "Right. You're just a memory."

I slapped myself, mentally and physically, for my rash behavior. I walked past through them literally and stood beside my sleeping memory self while I resumed listened to Ben and Athena talk.

Athena didn't move from her position. "No, thank you. I prefer standing."

Ben cleared his throat. "Um, okay then. . . Where should I start?"

"You can start by telling me what you know about the talisman," Athena quipped. "Obviously."

"Well, the talisman was given by Amelia's fa—"

"I already know that," Athena interrupted. "Tell me something I don't know."

Man, Athena can be a bad cop if she could. A very, very mean one.

"That's just it," Ben said. "I don't know anything else."

Athena eyed Ben suspiciously. "Are you sure about that?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" she asked again.

"Yes, Athena, I swear!" he said, nodding. "Dmitri couldn't tell me more because he was in a hurr—" He quickly shut his mouth.

"Why was he in a hurry?" Athena pressed. "Tell me!"

"I-I can't!"

"You can't or you won't?" Athena said. "There's a difference."

"I won't, okay?" Ben sighed. "It has nothing to do with the talisman, so why would I tell you?"

"It has something to do with it because you just mentioned it a while ago," Athena retorted. "Just tell me about it and get this over with."