Chapter 02 ◈ Roommates

Alright

Alright. I can do this. It's just like anything I've experienced before.

As the gate closed behind me, I took a deep breath and turned around to face the new world I was now in.

Most of the buildings that caught my eye seemed to be made out of marble but with a touch of modernity. The nearest one to me, a two-story building, had an extended roof supported by two white marble columns. Carvings of men in Greek armor fighting decorated the outside walls and the bottom of the columns as well.

The place looked like something of a history book. It also looked like a mini version of the Parthenon in Athens. Kinda.

"Whoa." My jaw dropped. "It's gonna take me a while to get to. . . anywhere."

While l gawked at my new school, students passing by did the same to me, shooting me odd looks. As much as I wanted to yell at them to mind their own business, l couldn't help but look down to see what exactly they were looking at.

Oh. l had no uniform on.

"Shoot." l stared at the new set of uniform inside the box I was holding. I didn't fold the thing properly when I first took a look at it, and now the blazer already had some small wrinkles on its sleeves.

It's probably not a big deal if I show up in my first class with my casual clothes on, right?

Probably. But I'm sure I'll get a bunch of stares just like I had not long ago. And that's the last thing I want: to attract unnecessary attention on my first day.

It's the worst way to jinx yourself, and I learned it the hard way a couple of times.

Carrying my stuff along, I strode to the same direction the other students were going. Moments later, I paused, realizing that all of them were heading to different but identical-looking buildings.

Oh no. They're heading to their classes, so that means I have a little bit of time left to find and go to the dormitories.

I'm going to be late. On my first day of class, at that.

I rummaged through the package. There's got to be a map of the school campus somewhere—

"Can I help you?"

Yelping, I dropped the box in surprise. Before I even could reach down for it, a boy in uniform got to it first. I stood there, stunned, and it was a second too late before I realized that he was waiting for me to take the package.

"Oh. . . um, sorry." I gingerly grabbed the box from him, careful not to touch his hand. "Thank you."

"No problem," the boy said. "Are. . . Are you new?"

I blinked. "I, uh—"

"Sorry, that was a stupid question." He scratched his head. "You've got a box with the school uniform and ID inside, and you're carrying a suitcase and a backpack. You're clearly new."