96

"... and that... was how i got separated from my sister."

tanjiro sighed as he finished telling the story of how an unknown demon trapped his sister in a series of boxes, then him, and how he somehow got regurgitated back into the world of the living knowing nothing of his surroundings. a small creature, which he coincidentally pulled out from the water while fishing, floated beside him, a worried look on its face.

"hm... i see. well, we've been together for such a long time, so i'll definitely help you find her!" its words were expressive, yet the facial expression stayed blank.

"thanks, tokitou. now how do we start actually doing something? i have no idea how we're only doing this now despite me having reeled you in quite some time ago, but if it's plot relevant, then let's start our journey! i'm leaving you in charge of guiding me."

"yeah. i'll be giving the tutorials to the players as well."

"... the pl... ay...???"

"ah, no no no, nothing. i'm just self aware."

tanjiro ran, defeated slimes, swam across a small body of water, and arrived to a point where he could see a city.

"wow, that's a lot of windmills." tokitou stated, his small feet dangling in the air, swinging excitedly. "let's go!"

they walked through the forest.

a sword flew through the air and dug into a tree infront of tanjiro, causing both him and the floating creature to freeze in their tracks.

i forgot whether or not the dragon comes first, but i'm writing this here, so insert it wherever adequate. tanjiro and tokitou saw a demon with wings, and a twink, in the forest, collected a red, teardrop-looking crystal from the small hill thing, then bam walked.

going back, a girl approached tanjiro silently from behind, pulling her sword out of the dent it made on the tree bark. there was also a bow, and a quiver of arrows, strapped to her back, and tanjiro had to wonder why she threw her sword instead of launching an arrow as the girl sheathed her weapon.

"stop. intruders." she said softly, her soft voice that is supposed to belong to ganyu in this game soothing the two travel buddies' ears.

"ah, well, we're not intruders. this here is a... a traveller. i'm tokitou."

"i see. what is this floating creature, sir traveller?" the girl acknowledged tokitou's remark, then turned to tanjiro.

"... he's my friend!"

"gods be damned, you didn't choose the emergency food option. was getting tired of that joke anyways." tokitou's strange remarks were nothing unusual, and this time as well, the traveller chose to ignore him.

tanjiro smiled at the girl. "what's your name? what are you doing out here in the woods?"

"kanae. i'm here to murder demonchurls."

now, this is hilarious because 'churl' was a term for peasants, or the lower class, back when they had the peerage thing in 1707 england.

"m-murder?" tanjiro gulped.

"it's my job. outrider kanae. at your service." she assumed a cutesy pose, but just like tokitou, her facial expression didn't exactly change save for a small, narrowing motion of the eyes, as if that was supposed to equate to a smile.

anyways, tanjiro trusts people since he sees the good in them, so they both went to murder demonchurls. they went into the city with windmills after a short while, and before he even had a chance to climb houses for mushrooms, the traveller got involved in a great incident that would change his standing with the citizens, and with the rest of the continent's population, forever. the wind blew hard and he got sucked into the vortex, and it was a wonder how there, he saw the same winged demon instead of gr*ffith and the rest of the god*and.