93

sanemi never really liked to listen to music.

he wasn't the type of person to browse albums in a shop, let alone one who had his earphones on during the morning commute to his highschool. he was basically devoid of everything involving the arts, and yet he never felt like he had the need to catch up on these, as he was immersed in his studies and was steadily maintaining his title as the ace of the archery club.

ever since he was a kid, he never really had any interest in the world of sounds and visuals, only seeking to help his mother look after genya, his little brother who was a little too nice for his own good. this was one of the major reasons sanemi told himself he needed to be tough. his mother had a pretty frail constitution as well, so during his childhood, he didn't really do much interacting and playing with the neighborhood kids. he had no regrets, though, and seemed to actually like this lifestyle, and his current state of being able to protect those he cherished the most in his unremarkable life.

since a relative came to live with them, sanemi was freed of his responsibilities to do menial chores around the house, as their relative wished to at least take these tasks upon himself to "pay his debt", as he had jokingly mentioned at the dinner table the night after sanemi's graduation from middle school. his name was uzui, a troublemaker who had been thrown out by his main family for excessive vices. he was a distant relative of the shinazugawas, edging more towards the aristocratic side than the ordinary.

as he cleaned up about the house one time, he happened upon sanemi drinking some water by the sink, to which he mentioned,

"do you play any sports? the condition of your body seems pretty decent." then, he added, with a proud snort, "well, not as decent as mine, though."
sanemi shook his head. "not really. just happened to have less body fat i guess. and part time jobs."
"christ, what kinda jobs do you do, bro?"
"a lot of things."
"well, since you're pretty much free from the grunt work now since my kindness is truly, flamboyantly overflowing, maybe you could join a sports club in your high school. you seem like you'd do good."

they talked about this for a while, uzui taking the chance to rest.

"why are you even telling me all this?" sanemi asked, genuinely curious about the older man's generosity with his time and efforts, considering he'd also been doing a few odd jobs here and there while he searched for a permanent one.
uzui smiled, a little bitterly, and turned back to the vacuum. "trying everything to avoid turning you into something like me."

these were sudden memories that filled sanemi's mind as he walked past the arcade that his little brother loved to visit when they were young. they had to leave a little early, though, as the environment wasn't very good for their mother. the silver-haired individual smiled as he had flashbacks to that one time uzui ran into this gay fuck named douma, who tried to hit on genya. it didn't really go well, but at least genya wasn't that naive by the time it happened. sanemi took a turn and his school came into view, just as he remembered the crisp sound of his brother's fist hitting the criminal's chin clear as the skies were today.

sanemi could say he was content.

he lived a peaceful life with his loved ones in a peaceful neighborhood, and he went to school without any issues. in fact, he liked going to school. he had fun during archery practice every afternoon, he liked absorbing new information and enjoyed the prospect of being somewhere he could discipline himself without being too hard on himself. of course, kanji and mathematics annoyed him, but as far as he knew, he wanted to keep on living.

just like this, steadily.

he didn't have great attachments to life, but he was glad he struggled at an early age and learned to fend for himself before the tide of the modern world swept him away.