74

ever night, akaza heard weird sounds.

it reminded him of an accelerating train, of a passing aircraft, of something that did not seem to belong to this world, as chaotic as it was.

"...oooommm"

he didn't know what a fighter jet was, but it somehow, just somehow, popped up in his head as something he could use to desribe the atrocity.

the haunting, piercing--

"...nYoOoOOOOoooOommmMmm"

it got closer.

"mmMmmm"

then distant...

"nyOoOoomMmmmM"

like the footsteps of a killer, halting behind every door and retracing his route in the inevitable paranoia of inexperience, the soft padding of his bare feet on the wooden floor barely audible over the wild pumping of the heart of a child who would carry his trauma to a grey adulthood.

as grey

as the hair of the motherfucker named douma who ran around in circles every evening outside akaza's room yelling "nyoom" for no reason.

akaza slid his door open, no longer wishing to tolerate such irritating sounds and inexcusable behavior.

"hey!"

"nyOOOoooM!!!"

and just like every evening, douma left a box of chocolates infront of akaza's doorframe, then sped away, back bent and hands stretched out at his sides, resembling the running of a popular ninja.

akaza's gaze followed his figure, which disappeared down the hallway and blended with the darkness that accepted its kin; his heart... if there even was one.

through the cold wind that seeped under the cracks of the furniture and the frost of apathy, the warmth that emanated from the box of chocolates slowly made its way to akaza, his hard frown softening into a small smile.

bending down and reaching for the small, rectangular box, he sighed briefly, his brows knit gently into a kind expression.

"seriously, that guy..."

he slid his door shut, leaning against the surface slightly as he giggled. "he can just give it to me directly instead of acting like a seal with cancer!" he placed the box on the low table situated beside his bureau, where the dresses douma had been giving him over time lay neatly folded and stacked, the soothing scent of lavenders wafting through the gaps of the bureau doors.

akaza took a seat on his cushion and rested his arms on top of the table, then buried his face in them, in an attempt to conceal his ever-growing smile and his glowing mood from nobody in particular.

then he rose abruptly.

"wh-what, it's not like i'm so happy because dou-kun gave me chocolates on demon timezone valentines day!" he huffed, then walked to his futon, stubbornly pulling the blanket over his head.

but under the protective cover of the sheets, his inner anime girl began to take over, and he felt his face growing hot, his chest getting tight (definitely not his pants).

"i don't care. i don't care but..."

DOKI
DOKI

"but why is my heart beating so fast?"

and that evening, akaza barely slept, imagining scenarios of him and dou-kun going on dates.