4. Cold Greetings

Sadie's POV

The dreadful day had finally arrived. And the worst part is that I barely slept last night. I had another nightmare and I couldn't get a single second of sleep after that. Sometimes, I go to one of the girls' rooms to see if they are up as I know we all have nightmares frequently. But when I checked on them, they were all sleeping like babies. Just my luck.

It was 7.30 am and they were arriving at 8. Yesterday, I installed a new security system and I was in our office doing the finishing touches. I also created new cards to turn the alarms off, which send me a message every time they are used so we know when they go out and come back. Meanwhile, the other girls were making sure our weapons and important files were well hidden.

Maybe we are exaggerating and maybe we sound controlling, but you can never be too sure. We didn't know what intentions our new roommates had. We've always had a tight security. This whole building is ours, we know who enters and exits it at all times. Even the doorman, Jeremiah, started working for us after an exhausting background check on him. So, we weren't taking any chances with these guys.

After a while, the intercom rang and I pressed the button so Jeremiah, the only person who had access to it apart from us, could hear me.

"Yes, Jeremiah?" I asked him.

"Good morning, Miss Sadie. Mr Romano and his friends have arrived. They are currently waiting for the elevator."

Ugh, the devils are here. I thanked him and stood up before heading to the living room.

"Girls! They are coming up!" I yelled for the girls and heard their footsteps approaching.

I took in their appearances. Mel looked nervous, not that I blame her. She is shy, especially when meeting new people, and we're talking about mobsters here. Mads had a scowl on her face; most precisely, she's had it since we heard the news. I know she's just scared they'd hurt us and she isn't there to protect us. Audrey had an indifferent expression. She doesn't give two flying fucks about these dudes. Her words, not mine. And then there's Bianca, who had a blank face. But I perfectly know that she isn't as calm as she looks. She still isn't sure if this is the right decision, and to be honest, neither was I.

The elevator's doors opened and five guys came in and looked around in awe. Don't tell anyone I've said this, but I have to admit they look handsome. And hot. What the fuck am I even thinking? Focus, Sadie!

"Good morning, boys," Bianca spoke up.

All five pair of eyes snapped to us and now I could have a better look at them. They were all tall, around 6 feet or more, and well-built too. They all had a cold mask on and their head held high, trying to show their confidence. I could see one of them was slightly closer to us, meaning he came in first guiding the rest, so he must be the leader of this little gang, Alec Romano. I could also see that the guy next to him had his same eyes, so, seeing the similar feature, he must be his cousin, Nathan Adams.

From our side, they were receiving nothing but blank expressions; however, our eyes told a different story. Bianca and I took our time to analyze each of them —just like they were doing—, Audrey couldn't look more uninterested, Mel was timidly looking at them whilst trying her hardest to maintain eye contact to show confidence and Maddie was giving them her hardest glare, as if silently warning them.

"Good morning, ladies," Alec broke me out of my thoughts with a cold tone that could send shivers down your spine. They all approached us so we could be at a closer distance. I admit they are a little intimidating, but it will take much more to scare us away.

"First of all, I wanted to clear something out before we start the introduction part. I'm pretty sure you were informed of what we do for a living, so were we about you. Now, sorry if you expected a warm welcome or something like that, but we wanted to leave things cleared out to avoid future confusions. We don't like you, and we are pretty sure you don't like us either. We want to finish this mission as soon as possible so you can get out of our house and our lives. Just as we'll get out of yours," Bianca stated venomously. I could see Alec's jaw clenching and unclenching, all out of anger, but we couldn't care less.