33. Emotional Pain

Melanie's POV

I couldn't believe my eyes. I didn't know if I was hallucinating or if the tiredness of the day was playing with my head. There stood my mother, the person who gave birth to me, and the person who was supposed to love me unconditionally but didn't.

I could feel the anger radiating from the girls. The look on their faces was deadly; the kind we use on our missions and sends shivers down your spine. They were glaring daggers at my mother as if their stares could burn her skull. And that because they already knew the story.

"What are you doing here?" my mom asked me after she composed herself, but I was in too much shock to talk.

"We could ask you the same thing," Maddie seethed at her.

"I wasn't talking to you, brat. I was speaking to my daughter," she shot back, making Maddie intensify her glare.

"Oh, so now she's your daughter," Audrey scoffed. "You don't deserve to call her that, old hag," she snarled.

"You slu—," my mother started until Bianca cut her off.

"I think it's time for us to go, isn't it?"

I knew she wanted to avoid any confrontations, and I totally agreed. Even though I had thousands of questions for my mother, it wasn't the time nor the place to talk about things.

We walked away, leaving my mom there. I could tell the boys were confused, but I wasn't in the right state of mind to explain. Probably later. We reached the car and I got in the back, between Audrey and Bianca.

"That bitch!" Maddie mumbled in anger.

She then went to get out, probably wanting to confront my mother. However, Sadie grabbed her arm, not allowing her to go further, and she whispered something in her ear that seemed to ease her. Both of them turned to me with a soft look, and that's when I noticed the tears running down my face.

"I-I." My breathing started getting heavier. I struggled to get air into my lungs, even though I was trying so desperately.

Bianca quickly turned me to look at her. Her lips were moving but I couldn't hear a single word. She put my hand on her chest, and I tried to follow her heartbeat, focusing on that and only that. After a few deep breaths, I finally managed to control it and I went to hug Bianca tightly. She immediately hugged back and started rubbing my back comfortingly while whispering soothing words on my ear.

"Are you feeling better now?" Audrey asked me with concern, to which I managed to give her a small nod.

"Would you like me to start driving or would you prefer to wait a little longer?" Sadie, who was on the driver's seat, asked me softly.

"We can go," I whispered and she gave me a nod. She turned the engine on and exited the parking lot.

"I gave my car keys to Alec. He is going to drive the boys to the penthouse with my car," Bianca, whose arms were still wrapped around me, announced.

After twenty minutes, we arrived to the penthouse. The sky was pitch black; the clouds not allowing a single star to shine bright up there. It was kind of depressing if you ask me. It kind of reminded me of that stormy night.

We walked inside the penthouse, being met with five male figures waiting for us in the living room.

"Are you ok, Mels?" Josh hesitantly asked me.

"Yeah," I managed to say. "I'm just going to head to bed. It's been a long day," I announced, interrupting the boys who were about to speak up again.