40. Manipulation

Josh's POV

"You're a terrible driver," Maddie spat angrily at Audrey from the passenger's seat.

"Terrible driver?" she scoffed. "Please, as if you could do any better."

"Well, then let me drive and I'll show you," Maddie told her.

"There's no fucking way I'm letting you drive my car. You'll scratch it," Audrey shrieked.

"You'll do that yourself if you keep driving like this!" Maddie exclaimed.

Mel and I sighed from the backseat as we listened to the constant bickering in front of us. David, who was sitting behind the driver's seat, was typing on his phone without seemingly paying much attention, but, by the amused glint on his eyes, I could tell he was definitely listening.

As Holden said, he managed to get Maddie a visitor's pass to see her father and we were now heading there. It was just the five of us, Mel, Maddie, Audrey, David and I. We felt it was completely unnecessary that the ten of us travelled there when only Maddie was going inside. In fact, the other four of us were only going for emotional support.

Plus, it was a two-hour drive to the prison and we needed to save as much time as possible. Once we get the information, David will send an encrypted message to Sadie which only the two of them can read. That way the information won't be leaked and they others can start working on it from New York while we arrive.

"Are they always like this?" I questioned Melanie, who turned to me with a sigh.

"Yeah. Welcome to my everyday life," she chuckled.

"Seriously, it's not that hard! The road is straight, you don't even need to turn the wheel!" Maddie continued.

"I'm not turning the wheel!" Audrey defended.

"Look! We are here," David cut them off, finally lifting his gaze from his phone as he put it on his pocket.

The car came to a stop and we all got out. I looked up to analyze the huge, plain building in front of me. Its metal walls were all painted with different tonalities of grey, quite depressing if you asked me. A huge, tall wall was separating us from the actual building. The security here was completely noticeable. There were guards around, security cameras and movement sensors. At least that's all I could see, but who knows what else it's hidden around. In other words, escaping from here looked almost impossible.

"Are you ready?" Mel asked Maddie, breaking the silence.

Maddie gave us a simple nod and took a deep breath. She walked up to the two guards that were standing in front of the entrance. She rummaged through her pocket until she found what she was looking for; the visitor's pass. Wordlessly, she raised it and showed it to the men, who scanned it with their eyes and nodded after some seconds.

They both opened the gate for her and Maddie walked in, not before glancing at us over the shoulder. We quickly gave her a reassuring look and watched as she disappeared into the building.

"So what do we do while she's inside?" Audrey asked turning to us.

"I don't know," David shrugged. "Just wait here."

"I have a bad feeling," I said.

"What kind of bad feeling?" Audrey asked me with confusion and concern.

"I don't know, it's just a bad feeling. But I'm probably just being silly," I told her, shrugging it off, because it was probably nothing.

Madison's POV

Guided by the guard, I walked through the deserted corridors of the prison. My nerves started creeping up as we neared the room, because it doesn't matter how much I try to be confident about this. I am not. Anything related to my father still brings me anxiety, but I have to do it for our mission's sake.