48. Phones

A few minutes earlier

Audrey's POV

Sitting on a barstool while eating some fruit, I couldn't help the circling thoughts in my mind. I was scrolling through my phone, but couldn't focus on anything that was shown on the screen. No matter how much I tried thinking of other random things, my brain always seemed to go back to the same thoughts.

Melanie was now taking a quick nap before dinner. I knew all of this was affecting her and I was hella worried for her mental health. Hannah is lucky she's already dead or right now I would be paying her a visit to break her face.

Heaving a sigh, I lifted my gaze when I felt footsteps approaching the kitchen and Hunter walked in just wearing a tank top and a pair of sweatpants. His steps halted when he saw me, but he soon resumed his walk towards the fridge after giving me a slight nod of acknowledgment which I returned. Once he picked up his food, he sat down on a barstool a few feet away from me; that's when I noticed the bandage on his wrist.

"What happened to your hand?" I asked him with worry as I put my phone aside.

He glanced up at me before looking at his hand and then back at my face shrugging his shoulders.

"Nothing important," he said in an emotionless tone.

"Was it because of the bomb?" I wondered as I gave him a pointed look, indicating him not to lie. His dark stare fixed into mine, showing his annoyance due to my constant questioning.

"I don't have to tell you if I don't want to," he deadpanned as he leaned over the table for a few seconds, still not breaking eye contact and daring me to do so.

"Was it?" I persisted in an exasperated tone, ignoring his last statement.

"It's nothing serious, Audrey. Now can I eat peacefully?" he groaned, momentarily shutting his eyes in frustration before returning to his previous position.

I stayed silent as he resumed eating his snacks, a frown etched on my face with a small glare. I looked down at my half-eaten plate of fruit with a sigh, stabbing the previously cut pieces with my fork. If he wanted to be a stubborn ass, then so be it. Cue the internal scoff, I shouldn't have asked, I don't even know why I worry.

Feeling thirsty, I got up and walked over to the fridge to grab a water bottle. I picked up a clean glass and started pouring the cool water on it when I heard my phone ping twice. After filling up the glass, I turned around to a sight that made my blood boil. Hunter standing up as he looked at my lit up screen.

"What the fuck are you doing with my phone? Don't you know how to mind your own business?" I hissed as I harshly snatched the phone from the counter.

"Who the fuck sent you those texts?" he asked calmly, sending shivers down my spine.

In contrast with his tone, his expression showed nothing but fury. One thing I've learnt about Hunter is that he sometimes has problems to control his anger, and I'm verifying it right now. Curiously but still angry, I looked down at my phone to read the messages he was talking about just to see it was from an unknown number.

"What were you doing at the Parks' today, little 'drey? Reminiscing old days and stealing around like a dirty little thief?"

"Be careful you don't get caught, darling. It would be a shame to see your ugly self in jail."

I held the phone tightly and clenched my jaw, taking deep breaths to calm myself. I perfectly knew who it was, the only person that wanted to hurt me apart from Angelo. The only person who has ever called me little 'drey. I don't even know how she got to know about the stealing thing. I never told anybody, but I guess she found out somehow.