36. Elevators

Sadie's POV

Jett Andrews. My brother's close friend. They met in high school too; they shared some classes and befriended each other there. Personally, I don't like him much.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing personal against him, he's never done anything to me nor anyone I love. The main reason is that he's an FBI agent, he could bring us many problems. One thing is involving Holden, the police chief of New York, and another very different thing is involving the FBI. In case that happens, I could always hack into their system, but that would be a much harder and riskier job that I would prefer to avoid.

I don't want him to be suspicious of me, not only because of the FBI part, but because he could tell my brother. Xavier thinks that I work as a totally legal hacker in a software company, when in reality, the only thing that's true from that is the word hacker. I hate lying to him, but it's for his own safety. The more involved he is in the underworld, the more in danger he is; and that's the last thing I want. Plus, I don't know how he would take the fact that I'm at risk every day.

Anyways, even though I try to avoid Jett as much as I can, there are times when it's just not possible, like right now. The only reason why I tolerate him is because I know how important his friendship is to my brother; and I'm not planning to put my job over my brother's happiness.

"Oh hi, Sadie," Jett greeted me with a smile when his eyes landed on me.

"Hi, Jett," I greeted back, flashing him my fakest smile.

"What are you doing here?" my brother asked him with curiosity.

"The other day you told me you were unpacking stuff today, so I just thought of passing by and help as well as seeing your new house," he shrugged.

"Oh well, then thanks, bro. A pair of extra hands will come in handy, right?" my brother asked, now turning to us.

"Sure," Emma chirped and we all resumed on our work.

I kept on doing what I was previously working on, occasionally involving myself in the different conversations that were playing out to not seem suspicious. I now had to study my words more carefully before saying them out loud; think before you speak as they say.

"Hey Sades?" Emma called out for me as I was lost on my own thoughts. I hummed in response, looking at her questioningly.

"We were thinking of ordering pizza later for dinner. Do you want to stay?" she asked me.

"I really wish I could, Em. But I promised I would have dinner with the guys," I apologetically said, earning a pout from her.

"Is that boyfriend of yours also going to be there?" Xavier asked with a bit of annoyance on his tone, interjecting in the conversation.

"Yeah," I sighed. "And remember you said you would give him a chance," I reminded him with a pointed look.

"It was just an innocent question," he said, raising his hands up in surrender.

"You have a boyfriend?" Jett chirped in. I turned to look at him, studying him. He was looking at me with curiosity and confusion.

"Yes, I do," I shortly replied.

"Oh I didn't know," he commented.

"They've just started dating, I also got to know today," my brother told him. "I still need to meet him formally by the way," he added while looking at me, to which I gave him a nod.