Chapter 51

Chapter 51

Five weeks later.......

Leaning my head back I felt my body melt against the bronze railing that surrounded the balcony out looking the swarmed streets of Rome that I most say reminds me a lot like Manhattan. Rather than taxis and people in suits running around in a rush there was too many scooters and tourists taking their time as they gawked at every thing they pasted. The difference between rushed and laid back had the corners of my mouth curving upwards, two different traits yet so similar.

Resting my elbow on the metal rail I shook my head, still amazed that I was actually here in Rome. It's never been a place I've thought of visiting mainly because my list of places to visit was never that long to begin with but after spending time here I can see myself missing the noisy city. It was no skyline but it sure had a breathtaking view when dusk falls and the soft lights twinkle against the violet sky.

"Daydreaming again?"

Glancing over my shoulder I felt my mouth stretch into a wider smile "Maybe."

Sliding one bronze arm around my waist,Wes released a long breath as he stood beside me. Like so many times before I found myself leaning my head against his shoulder as we shared a silent moment watching the city of Rome. Since my arrival we have been doing this at least twice a day,usually at the beginning of the day and the end. It was like clockwork, I would find myself strolling out here and soon after Wes would join me and we would just stand silently and watch the city life. To some it may seem like a bore fest but these moments are one of the best I've had. It's not about the beautiful view or even anything romantic, it was special because neither of us felt the need to fill the silence. It wasn't awkward or boring, it was a mutual silence that was the point in the day I anticipated.

"I love this part of the day." I mumbled softly meaning it for only my ears

Wes grazed the tips of his fingers down the length of my bare arm "Hmmm....."

Turning his head to the side he buried his nose in my hair, inhaling a long breath of my hair. Luckily I took a shower earlier otherwise he would be smelling the sauce I assisted Anna and her aunt made for the family get together tonight. All of Wes's family and friends were coming over for an official welcome back party that was delayed due to his father's burial. To say I was sorry I missed the funeral would be a lie. It broke my heart picturing Wes's broken expression as his loved ones gave their condolences, seeing him in New York was heart wrenching as it was. Tonight wasn't about grieving, tonight was about remembering the loved ones still around you and no one needed this more than Wes.

Kissing the crown of my head he wrapped his free arm around me causing my mouth to stretch into a goofy smile.

"And I love when you do that." I sighed and nuzzled my head further into his chest

"If you keep throwing that word around I might think you actually love me." he chuckled half heartily

I know I was meant laugh at the joke or nudge him for teasing but I couldn't do either. How could I really? The barely audible crack in his tone when he spoke was the only indicator that he wasn't really laughing on the inside and that's what bothered me most. Unintentionally I was hurting him and that was the last thing I wanted.

During my duration in Rome he hasn't brought up the L situation at all. He hasn't even spoke about what exactly I want since that day he met me by the Trevi fountain. I can't deny that I feel relieved that he hasn't asked but I can't escape this feeling of guilt and a twinge of something I can't quite place my finger on. Sighing I shrugged his arm off and slid down the railing, leaving a spacious distance between us.