Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Arriving forty-five minutes late had this night starting off terribly as we entered the dining room filled with guests already eating and my mother's soft caramel eyes burning a hole through me for being late. Dinner had stretched out to my horror as people I hadn't seen for years since that faithful day, had the nerve to ask how I was doing, all while having a smile on their faces as if we were old college buddies meeting at the grocery store. Pushing my frustrations about this whole night away I replied as nice as I could but even I heard the icy tone in my voice.

While I was glaring at anyone who dared to glimpse my way Wes sat beside me chatting happily to the people around him, as if they were lifelong friends. The fact that he spoke to these leeches with ease irked me, some of these people were people I grew up with yet I could have never held a conversation with them as long as Wes did. He made a joke and the morons laughed, while I stabbed at the perfectly arranged vegetables in my plate. Occasionally someone would ask questions about our relationship and because of my unapproachable attitude the questions were given to Wes, who answered with such charm I rolled my eyes at his overly sweet tone. Of course the idiots around us took the bait and to add to the facade Wes had planted a few kisses on my cheek that had the woman awing while cringed at the sickening sound.

Eventually the horrendous dinner was over and the guest had moved into the wide living room as waiters walked around serving wine, the only reason I haven't screamed out my frustrations as I watched old women glancing my way not do discreetly as they whispered, no doubt about me.

"We were hoping to have the wedding in two months." Greg beamed his arm firmly around Stacy's small waist

They looked very much a glamorous couple, Greg dressed in a gray striped suit, with a silky silver dress shirt beneath a vest that added too much attention to his growing beer belly. Stacy hung against him like a bat on a tree branch in a mid-thigh silver dress that had jewels covering her chest area, long diamond earrings hung from her ears matching the thick crust of diamonds lining her neck and wrist. All presents from Greg. But none of diamonds stood a chance against the cherry sized diamond sitting carefully on her left finger, the ring was massive!

Forcing the wine down my throat I winced as the red liquid burned throat at the sudden move causing me to burst into a fit of coughs. Wes patted my back as I gasped for air, glancing up through watery eyes I could barely see the concern plain on his face through my blurry vision but I did and that touched my heart to know he cared.

"Slow down on the wine Khloe." my mom said in light tone with just a hint of edginess that I'm sure no one else picked up on other than me

The wine glass was pulled from my shaky hand as a cool glass replaced it, the cool glass was lifted up to my mouth by the same person whose hand rubbed circles on my back. The cool water felt heavenly against my hoarse throat, having enough I pushed the glass away.

"Are you okay?" he whispered in my ear, it seemed there was more to the question than assuring my physical health

Still feeling the burning of my near choking experience I merely nodded offering him a weak smile. Turning my attention towards the group that proceeded on with discussing the sudden wedding, no one bothered to check if I were okay not that I cared it just stroke me as sad that no one even offered me a smile. It should have come as a surprise but it didn't lessen the pain of knowing no one cared enough to spare a glance in my direction. Swallowing the lump in my throat I pressed my lips together to keep from expressing my anger and hurt when I felt a large hand rest on my shoulder as a hard body settled behind me.

The spicy scent of Wes engulfed me as I stood frozen against his form taken by surprise by the feel of him pressed against me. My heart galloped wildly in my chest at the close contact after seeing the worry shining in his eyes when not even my mom spared me a second look. A small seed of warmth spread in my chest like a wild vine growing around the walls I built around my heart.