Chapter 25

Chapter 25

"I missed you K." Aaron sighed throwing an arm over my shoulder, naturally I leaned into missing the brotherly comfort that Aaron provided with his presences. Our relationship was easy and comfortable for the both of us, from the first time we spoke to each other at one of my father's election parties I liked Aaron and he felt the same. It was a strange friendship since I was know for always being off alone, never bothering to talk to anyone whilst Aaron had his own person entourage following him just to say they are friends with him. Strange or not the friendship was something I cherished especially when Aaron never spoke about my father's occupation or parties or anything the others chatted aimlessly about, no Aaron and I talked about ourselves. Our likes, dislikes, and our families behind closed doors. We were similar in a way -both living in broken homes where everyone smiled because they had to.

"I know you're a big shot and all but couldn't you at least send your old buddy a text." he joked

I smiled, especially since he was the one in Hollywood putting his creativity to use and being recognized for his talent. "Technology works both ways." I replied with a nudge of my shoulder

"Touché." He lead us around an elderly couple walking hand in hand, my eyes narrowed at the soft, adoring looks they shared, envying the happiness they have when Aaron spoke, "I thought you wouldn't want to talk to me since my cousin is a douche."

Shame washed over me as he spoke the truth out loud, it wasn't as if I meant to hurt Aaron but I didn't want his pity and I knew he would want to discuss what his cousin did and I didn't want to. There is no point in moping about what he did, the article was out in the magazines and everyone snickered behind my back -talking wouldn't have changed any of that.

"Let's not talk about him." I announced lowering my gaze to the pavement. It's embarrassing enough I nearly broke down at the florist allowing him to soothe me, to my relief I managed to regain control of my emotions before Stacy noticed.

"No problem, but you do know I'm on your side, right baby?"

Craning my head up I fixed my eyes on him, the look of concern on his face caused a fresh wave of shame to wash over me "I know, and I love you for it." I admitted with a soft smile

"I love you too K, now let's go get some iced coffee. California has long legged, plastic beauties but they can't do caffeine like the big apple."

A broad smile spread along my face, an ache in my chest had me regretting ever cutting off our friendship "You haven't changed at all." I laughed

"I'm one of a kind." he winked playfully, his long fingers gripping my upper arm "Now let's gossip about your sister, I mean could she be any more of a skank." he said with a shake of his head in mocking shame

Throwing my head back I laughed remembering his expression when Stacy flaunted her double D's at the florist, he actually flinched and told her to tuck the twins in for the day. Looping my arm through the crook of his elbow like I use to I glanced out at him with a rare genuine smile, that was neither forced or faint. "Its good to have you back."

The coffee turned out to be longer than an hour, too preoccupied with reuniting with my old friend I didn't realize the late hour till Aaron mentioned grabbing dinner. Unable -and not wanting to part just yet- I said yes, it wasn't as if I had any plans tonight or any other night for that matter. It was late when I returned home after repeatedly telling Aaron I could make it home alone, it took awhile but finally he let me go with a quick kiss on my cheek and storing his number in my phone.

A voice boomed through the door across the hall causing me to jump, the anger clear even though the words that were being shouted were foreign. Glancing over my shoulder I stared at Wes's door as the shouting got louder, wondering what or who could ruffle his feathers enough to get him to sound so -enraged? I couldn't hear another person, perhaps he was on the phone? Curiosity edged me to cross the small distance between our doors and ask the man in question.