Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Khloe?"

Startled by my mother's voice I dragged the back of my hands across my cheeks, wiping the stray tear trails away. As she approached where I sat I sniffed hoping I didn't look too much of a mess. Those warm honey like eyes settled on my crouched position, the sadness clear in her gaze as she took the seat beside me. Her small body settled comfortable without squishing either of us.

"How did you find me?"

She laughed, the sound soft and sweet that I couldn't help but face her to catch a glimpse of the past happiness that once glowed out of her "After so many years you still run to this old room. Remember when you were eleven and you dropped your sister's sweet sixteen cake."

It was my turn to laugh as I recalled the crimson shade of her face "I thought she was going to kill me." I chuckled

My mother's smile widened, the crinkles by her eyes a tiny reminder of the mother I lost over the years. Swallowing past the lump lodged in my throat I pushed the thought away as tears stung my vision. "She was going to but you ran off before she had a chance, I remember everyone searching for you for hours worried when you didn't show up an hour later. I nearly called the police when I heard a sniffling from this very room." she said, flicking my nose

Glancing down at my hands I felt those pesky tears burning my eyes, my mother back than was still silently bearable but that was before the bitter divorce and before her heart was broken by the jerk downstairs. At the reminder of my father I stiffened realizing why she came, damage control.

"I'm not going to apologize." I stated sternly, not leaving any room for arguments

Her hand dropped to her side, sighing softly she turned forward bot seeming here with me; at least not completely.

"For years I've noticed the way you act towards your father and I thought it was because of what happened with him and I. I never once thought that it had anything to do with how he treated you when you were younger but tonight when you-" she paused to clear her throat "I had no idea that you still held on to those days and hearing you speak about it brought back the guilt I felt for letting him push you into something you hated. It was clear you wanted nothing to do with that world but John looked so happy when he came home with you at his side that I ignored your frown."

Craning my head in her direction I was shocked to meet her gentle brown eyes filled to the brim with tears, a fat tear ran along her cheek and she allowed it to travel down her papery cheek before reaching a frail hand on top of mine.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, for allowing him to do that to you." she hiccuped and gave my hand a gentle squeeze

Pain coiled in my chest like a burning ball of fire, searing my insides at the pure regret painted on my mother's face. I never in my life would have expected her to apologize for the past, let alone that certain issue but to hear and see her regret set a small ray of hope in my heart. Hope that perhaps the nagging, loving mother I once had would return. That maybe my father hadn't destroyed her ability to love completely.

Inhaling deeply I wanted to say I forgive her but I couldn't speak the lie out loud, instead sat silently. How could I forgive her? Yes, she admits she's wrong for allowing him to do what he has but that doesn't give me back my childhood. It doesn't erase what I was subjected to witnessing, it doesn't make the times my father runs to me for cash behind her back vanish, nor does it make the heartache I was subjected to better. I wanted to forgive my mother and end the worry straining her features but want and do are two different things.

Sighing defeatedly she retreated her hand, understanding the silence meant I wasn't ready to forgive her so soon "How about we move out from this dusty corner?" she offered standing up right