Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Turning on my heels I caught my bottom lip with my teeth as I paced the long hall once again like a mindless zombie with my third cup of coffee in hand. It was nearly five in the morning and I didn't feel the least bit tired, in fact I had enough energy to run a marathon at this rate and it had nothing to do with the caffeine I've been chugging down like a religious person would holy water and everything to do with Wes who was talking to the doctor yet again.

When he returned earlier after talking to the doctor Wes had a grim expression on, although he didn't speak I knew the news, whatever it may be it was not good. Feeling helpless I once again took his hand finding the situation heartbreaking especially when Wes walked over to his sisters and told them the news. Anna had to be the strongest of the three; her eyes brimmed with tears but she merely nodded accepting the reality of the situation. Poor Carrie burst into tears, her sobs echoed in the hall for all to hear and Marbella crumbled in her seat bawling her eyes out. I watched with my own tears leaking down my cheeks as Wes comforted his sisters while he suppressed his own emotions. He didn't cry a single tear but they were there behind the brave mask he put up; it shined in his eyes like a storm brewing. Still he held it together until both Carrie and Marbella's sobs ceased, kissing all three on the forehead he made his way back to me with his head low and guilt filling his blank stare. I couldn't help in that moment but wrap my arms around his neck, he was hurting and I couldn't help him in any other way than this.

Other than holding his hand that's all I could really do for him and it pains me to see him so crestfallen and have no power to help. He never pushed me away when I hugged him, feeling the moment intensifying I pulled away only to find Wes staring down at me with glassy grey eyes that spoke the words his lips didn't. Each time I met his soft gaze I turned away, reminded of his confession earlier.

Squeezing my eyes shut I felt an invisible hand grip my heart at the reminder. We haven't talked about what he said, we haven't talked much at all and I know the time is nearing. I can't avoid the topic forever although I'd love to forget all about it, but I know Wes won't. He has an annoying habit of making me face my problems head on. Which meant there is no running from this. Aggravated, I tossed my empty cup into the small bin in the corner of the hall. Releasing an annoyed growl I turned on my heels ready to start my pacing again when I bumped straight into Dominic. My hands flew up to my throat as a gasp pulled from my lips.

"I apologize for startling you but you were standing here alone." he explained with his thick Italian accent

My chest fell as I released a soft breath, lowering my hands I felt my heart slow to its normal pace "I thought you were with Anna."

"Anna went to check on the children, Joey was left with all the toddlers and teenagers."

Nodding, I took a seat on one of the many chairs lining the hall. Dominic took the one to my left, his large biceps grazing my arm as he turned to face me. Feeling his stare I reluctantly turned my head in his direction; it's not that I didn't like Dominic that wasn't it at all, I wanted some alone time to figure some things out and having another one of Wes's family members tell me how Wes 'looks' at me differently definitely doesn't help. Especially since my eyes have wandered to the door a hand full of times since I've entered the hospital but I couldn't leave Wes when he needed me, it wasn't fair to him.

"How are you dealing with this?"

Taken back by the question I shook my head "I don't know the man." I replied honestly

He shook his head "I meant with helping Wes deal with this incident, not many people in your position would come running in here the way you did."

Restraining the gasp bubbling in my throat I eyed the older man curiously, wondering if he meant what I was thinking or was this a trick of my imagination. Hoping for the latter I composed myself as if I hadn't just had a miniature freak out that this stranger I've spoken to a few times knew a secret that could ruin me for life if it didn't kill me of embarrassment first.