Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Lowering the beige folder in my hand I folded my hands over the neat stack of papers that have grown every hour despite that I have been working non-stop in the hopes of ridding the large stack. There seemed to have been some sort of mix up between the agents and now we had four writers expecting covers, editing and interviews for their newest novels in the next week. Normally I would have concentrated on the more important client and explain to the newest writers that we have to push any plans aside for a brief moment but it just so happens that all four writers were old clients and neither wanted to wait, my hand was forced. Left with no choice I called all departments into the conference room early this morning, no one was pleased with the extra work load suddenly dumped upon them and with a nearing deadline but no one protested. The dark glares were casually thrown my way as I explained the situation and how every employee must pitch in to organize this mess before this small bump in the road reached Henry.

After splitting the duties between my employees I dismissed them with a stern demand that they not dally with their work seeing how the clients will be coming in the next few days to approve of the on going projects and that meant double the work in half the time my employees were accustom too. Exiting the conference room I heard a few employees complaining about the urgent jobs thrust unexpectedly in the break room. Furious at the heavy work load they seemed to take their frustrations out on me, mocking my strict tone and childishly calling me vicious names, none I haven't heard before.

Turning my attention back to the small woman waiting patiently in front of my desk ready with a notepad in her hands and a pen wiggling in case I asked her to jolt anything down. This is why I like Amy, she was always prepared for any curve ball I tossed at her and never once complained or even groaned when I interrupted her weekends with work related projects. She never spoke about anything outside of work and never asked for time off, which was surprising since she had a photo of her family on her desk occupying the entrance of my office. She never brought up any graduations, get togethers, not even a birthday.

"In another hour make a round through the departments and return with an update on each project."

She nodded her short hair bobbling around her face "Yes Ms. Sparks." she responded in a small voice

"Reply to any emails and send me a copy of next week's schedule for the horror series release, call Carly to inform her of the upcoming deadline for the three hundred page novel and send her a copy of the draft photo cover." I ordered pleased as she scribbled each task down with a nod

Her hand darted over the mini pad not once asking me to repeat a task or ask infuriating questions my past assistants have asked. Considering my lack of patience and non existing tolerance for redundancy, a assistant that accomplished a job the first time around without asking a dozen questions was crucial for me and that is exactly what Amy is. It is a trait I valued in Amy from the first day she stepped foot in my office six months ago when she had successfully brought me a hazelnut creamed coffee with two sugars -not that diet crap either-, two muffins; one bran muffin with a blueberry topping only and a thin toasted bagel with a smooth strawberry cream cheese on one side. Amy nailed that test on the first try and I hired her on the spot.

Her round brown eyes lifted off the pad awaiting the next task "Anything else Ms. Sparks?"

Leaning back I nodded "A cup of coffee for me, what would you like anything Tess?" I asked turning to the bulging woman laying on her back on my couch

She lifted her head off the plush cushions, her eyes were outlined with dark circles indicating a lack of sleep due to yet another false alarm in the middle of the night "A pack of those soft cakes with creme inside." she answered