Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Wes's POV

Growing up I always thought of my dad as a superhero; nothing could hurt him or weaken him. He was always this large, strong man who could with stand any pain and suck it up. I remember once when we vacationed in Italy we were walking the streets of Rome, scooters zipped up and down the streets missing pedestrians by inches. I remember clutching on to my dad's hand for dear life as he maneuvered both Anna and I through the traffic as Marbella and my mom followed close behind. At the moment I thought we were going to get run over and judging by my mom's doe like eyes she had the same fear but not my dad, he strutted through traffic as it he was taking a late afternoon stroll in Central Park.

During my childhood that was my image of my dad, a strong man who never cracked on the face of anything but my image of my dad shattered the day my mom died. No more was the man who laughed at everything and saw the silver lining in every situation, gone was the man who made us peppermint flavored maple syrup on Christmas morning and in replace was a empty shell of a man who saw the world in gray. I knew my parents loved each other and that my dad especially loved my mom but never would I have thought that he would shut down the way he did after her death. It wasn't just a brief depression like the many doctors informed us, it was like part of my dad died when my mom did. I know it's impossible and doctors have discouraged this idea but my sisters and I think he grew sick from a broken heart.

Now standing by my dad I realized this wasn't the man I grew up with but a shadow of him, my dad would lay down and let this sickness eat away at him. No, my dad -the one who once told me weakness was all in ones head- would have laughed at the doctor when he diagnosed him and walked out if this hospital shaking his head and mumbling about how doctors are dumb folks with too much knowledge. But the man in front of me stared aimlessly at the television hanging from the wall, mouth slightly parted.

Earlier the doctor gave the all clear for us to take him home and removed all the tubes from his body and unplugged all the machines. He recommended a stay at home nurse I quickly declined and offered to watch him myself for a few weeks. A day wore me out but at least then I would have something to distract me from the situation with Khloe, besides I brought a carry on full of clothing to Marbella's house earlier.

If things were different I would have asked my dad for advice about Khloe and this relationship, if it can even be labeled as one. Knowing him he would say to snatch her up before another idiot comes along and snatches her or tell me to walk away, there is more girls out there waiting to be swept off their feet. The corners of my mouth lifted as I thought of my dad's expression after hearing a girl didn't want anything serious, he would howl with laughter and call me a moron for saying the 'L' word first.

"Why is this thing so high up?" my dad mumbled to himself "I told Joey to keep the damn tv low." he added with shake if his head

"He'll come by later and fix it." I lied wondering if he even recognized me

He nodded his head, the white hairs shaking as he leaned his head against the pillows behind his head "Tell your sister to come with him, I haven't seen her in a while."

Nodding, I shoved my hands into my pockets too exhausted by this past week to fall along with this lie. I've spent six of those seven days here, the day I brought Khloe home was my only break from this and the afternoon in bed was a bittersweet moment for me. Holding her, forgetting about the problems between us and the problems awaiting us outside of her bedroom. Even if it was only a few hours it was enough for me but as I looked down at the clothed beauty snuggling against my chest I felt a pang of disappointment recalling the promise I made her despite my better judgement. She needs time to figure things out but I feel like Khloe will drag this out for as long as she can and the thought saddens me, I have to keep my word and back off for a bit and staying away was the only way I knew I wouldn't demand an answer again. It was killing me but I had to give her this last chance to settle all her fears and emotions.