Chapter 46

Chapter 46

"What are you doing here?"

Staring at her clasped hands for a moment she didn't respond but her appearance didn't help. Her dark ebony hair was pulled down into a low ponytail, her light brown eyes were rimmed red and had a shiny gloss that indicated she has been crying recently, the tip of her nose was red and the dry tear streaks staining her cheeks was enough for me to conclude this wasn't a happy visit.

Sucking in a shaky breath, she swiped the tissue across her cheeks "I know I'm not the person you want to see this early in the morning but I didn't know where else to go."

The desperation in her voice had my defenses lowering as I realized she wasn't here to attack me and her messy appearance definitely didn't look threatening. It still left the question as to why she was here, she and I aren't really friendly.

"Can I come in?"

Shaking my head of the questions swerving in my mind I nodded and stepped aside.

"Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, I don't have much time to stay. The kids should be waking up soon and Joey left to the grocery store and doesn't even know I'm here."

She sat down on the sofa, ankles crossed and a seldom expression on her face as she stared at her lap like it was the most fascinating thing in the world. Sitting beside her I nodded "And why exactly are you here Marbella?"

Looking up through wet lashes she took a moment before answering "My dad died three days ago." she said in a soft whisper but she could have shouted and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference

Placing my hand over hers, I understood I didn't know her well enough to be doing this but I felt like she needed comfort and I was the only one around to give it to her. Her free hand fell over mine as she fought back the tears brimming her eyes. It took a moment but she managed to reel in the emotions and in that moment I didn't see the rude, snappy girl from the dinner a few weeks ago; what I saw was a vulnerable grown woman who looked as if the whole world has caved in on her.

"I'm sorry for your loss. How is Wes taking it?"

Sniffing, she offered a weak smile "That's why I'm here, Wes is a mess."

I would be lying if I said that surprised me. Wes has carried so much guilt for years, his father's death after a heart attack he believes he caused would surely bring him down. The hallow space in my chest throbbed thinking of Wes drowning in self loathing and I wanted nothing more than to grab my coat and find him where ever he is and hold him in my arms. Rather than do just that I pushed the part of me that yearned to see him for my own selfish reasons aside and focused on the important matter before me.

"Is he alright?" I asked as I slid closer to her

She shook her head "For the past three days he has been locked in his room with a bottle of tequila. We've tried talking to him but all he does is stare aimlessly at us like he can't understand what we're saying. We knew he'd take this the hardest but not like this."

"Wes doesn't drink." I mumbled with a shake of my head

I recall on the first 'date' we had to Stacy's engagement Wes mentioned he doesn't get drunk or drink and other than an occasional beer or wine that I offer him he hasn't touched any alcohol drinks since we've been together.

"He hasn't since our mom's accident which worries us more."

Pulling my hand back I ran it through my messy hair not at all insecure about how terrible I may appear in my pajamas with swollen red eyes although Marbella isn't really in the position to judge appearances herself at the moment. I bit my bottom lip thinking about how Wes was coping with the loss of his dad; in a dark dingy room with no lights on and an old shot glass in his hand taking cup after cup down until the bottle rolled on it's side empty. I had to squeeze my eyes tight to prevent the tears that stung my eyes as the image grew more detailed in my mind and the emotions Wes must be struggling with at the moment had my heart aching to comfort him.