Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Breathe.

Breathe.

I chanted the word like a chipped record repeating the same word over and over again hoping my lungs would cooperate and work without me forcing deep breaths in and out, the unconscious act I've done all my life suddenly difficult. The lime green and electric yellow lights above whipped around the club and over the swarm of bodies on the dance floor, the thump of the music blasting from the speakers like a heartbeat bringing life to the club.

"Isn't this great?" Carrie shouted over the music blasting above us

"Yeah." I agreed, turning from my waist I watched as two woman walked by their eyes trained on Wes who was searching the dark club for seats. Gulping I quickly looked away from their sultry expressions, this was what clubs were for. Hunting ground for both genders and a convent place for any horny lonely people who wanted a spontaneous one night stand with a person they would never lay eyes on again. Still I couldn't help the jealously creeping into my chest like a serpent, what if Wes decides to have a said one night stand with one of these women?

A hand slipped into mine, startled I glanced up to see Wes tugging my hand "Come on." he shouted, he led us through the sea of bodies when we finally emerged we were in front of an unoccupied table with only two seats. Carrie took the first one leaving either Wes or I to stand.

"I'll get our drinks." he whispered, his breath was hot against the shell of my ear. Nodding I took a seat glancing around the room at the blur of flesh and lights, they seemed to blend together. Folding my hands on my lap I bit my bottom lip nervously and I found myself asking the same question I've asked myself the whole ride here -why did I agree to come?

Wes was touching your butt, a voice sneered in my head.

Carrie leaned towards me so she wouldn't have to scream over the blaring music "I still can't believe he's tagging along, he's going to ruin tonight."

Secretly I was more than happy Wes consisted on coming, it meant I wouldn't have to be the lonely girl at the bar. "He's just being protective." I answered

"That's exactly the problem." she huffed folding her arms over her chest "I wanted to come out with you and have fun not have a personal bodyguard stopping all males from even glancing my way." she pouted

I nearly laughed at her childish expression, Carrie has been whining about Wes joining us from the moment she saw waiting downstairs by my car. She argued with him the whole way here only stopping when we entered the club. It was amusing to listen to them argue in the car like children, it wasn't bitter like I an argument I would have with Stacy -no it was calm although Carrie kept ranting in Italian when Wes replied with a simple 'nope'.

"I'm sure he won't be too bad."

She sent me a bewildered look "He's horrible!" she exclaimed throwing her hands up in the air

I opened my mouth to reply when Wes approached our table with our drinks in hand, standing up I helped him place them down unsure what he brought back but he is a bartender so he must know what's good. Pulling the black leather skirt further down my thighs I turned to my seat when Wes took it. I gaped at his rudeness, really could he at least pretend to be a gentleman and give the lady the seat.

"Sit down kitty." he grinned patting his lap

I wanted to slap the cocky smirk off his face but one glance at his sister stopped me in my tracks. We were suppose to be a couple and this is what couples do, I reminded myself. Despite every nerve in my body protesting for me to stand my ground I lowered myself on to his lap mentally planning on ways to kill him later. He draped his arm around my waist, his fingers slipping under the silky royal blue low cut top Carrie demanded I wear. The sleeveless silky shirt hugged my curves like a second skin, the black leather skirt I wore with it reached just barely midway and made my legs seem long than they were, pairing the outfit with black six inch stilettos. My hair was hanging down my back with a few strands tossed over my shoulder, it was simple yet seemed extreme when paired with my outfit. I looked daring, adventurous, edgy and to my utter surprise sexy -all things I would never truly be had it not been for Carrie.