76

I woke up.

Thank the goddess.

But I didn't know where I was. It was dark and cold and yet I felt as if I were sweating.

"Oh, my goddess! You're awake!" I heard a cracked voice call out as I turned my head. Ash, she had tears in her eyes and a matching pair of dark circles under them to match.

"Hey," managed to croak out along with a forced smile. She quickly walked over to me and fell down onto the hospital bed I laid on.

"You stupid, stupid person! I trusted you to be okay! I trusted you not to get hurt!"

"I was hurt?" I didn't remember getting injured at all, if anything Alaric was the one who nearly died. Nearly.

"Ya! Obviously, you were because when Sander, Brett, and I found you, you were passed out on top of Alaric!" My heart quickened at the mention of his name, he was alive, I knew that much, but was he okay? Where was he?

"Ash, w-where's Alaric?" Her eyes were filled and overflowing with tears as he looked at me with such emotion.

"He's fine, he healed up pretty quickly, it's been about three days from the attack you know. He was up and out of bed by the second. For a while he didn't leave your side, he didn't even eat he was so worried about you! It took Brett and Sander to drag him away from your bedside just to get him to eat! As well as me promising to stay by your side!"

Three days? It had been three days? I wanted to explain to Alaric what I had done, what exactly I had done to him. He would be furious, but I wasn't going to keep this a secret from him.

"Ash, you were-" She held up a hand and smiled as she wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

"I'm fine, the baby is fine, they somehow grabbed Lily and threatened to kill her if I didn't go with them. I had no choice, I was lucky enough though that during this whole exchange of life Brett was coming. I didn't even get a chance to know how I was saved. They knocked me out so I couldn't mind link anyone." I released a breath of relief that they were all safe. I watched as Ash's eyes darted from my feet to the top of my head as if looking for something.

"Ash, is something wrong?"

"Umm, no, it's just... Clove, when we found you guys in the field we thought you were dead. YOu have no idea how scared we all were. There was blood everywhere and you and Alaric... it looked as though you guys fought to the death with Vincent and then died peacefully together." I didn't reply, I turned away from her. Oh, Alaric... could he ever forgive me for what I had done to him.

"But, you guys were still breathing, Alaric seemed almost fine but bruised beyond belief! And then you! We thought you were hit in the head or something because you were out cold and your breathing was so shallow." I reached out a hand and grasped Ash's.

"I'm sorry I made you worry." I shook her head and gripped my hand back.

"No, I'm just glad you're okay now, you really had us all worried. Alaric most of all, but we couldn't find Vincent anywhere. We think he might have gotten away so we have warriors out there looking for him!" I let go of Ash's hand as I tried to sit up in the stiff bed.

"It's alright, he didn't get away, he's dead." She didn't say anything for a moment as the silence filled the room.

"Alright then, I'll let Sander know. I should probably call Alaric in now, he'll get angry if he finds out we've been talking for so long." I laughed and coughed while trying. Yes, he would get angry at that.

"Alright, please do." Ash got up and walked to the door, but as she opened the door she stopped and looked back at me sitting in the bed with a loose-fitting hospital gown.