56

Just like Region thought, my injuries didn't heal, in fact, they got worse. Instead of my bruises turning from black and blue to yellow and green they seemed to stay a permanent black stain on my skin. Peppered all over me. My ribs, from when Region snapped and kicked me; my cheek, from when he slapped me; and my back from when I was slammed into a rock. Region knew I was broken, he knew I had trouble healing, but even I didn't know just how awful I really was at it.

For the first few days, I think he found it amusing. He was so satisfied that he had been right he didn't mind that I was almost a mummy from the bandages that Wendy had wrapped around most of my cuts, that had just begun to scab over. He found it even more amusing when he would slap me and simply watch the bruises form and stay.

Now though, a week later, it had begun to annoy him. He didn't say anything, but then again he didn't have to. I saw it on his face clear as day as he was drilling holes into the side of my face with his eyes. Every day, since the dinner incident, he had been watching me or had had Wendy watching me. Wendy never commented on my appearance, but I could see it in her eyes that she was confused about why Region was hurting me if I was his mate. A few times Wendy let it slip that she was glad Region had rescued me. From there I could guess that Region had basically convinced his entire pack that I was his mate and I was taken from him. That was my guess anyway.

Other than spending the small moments of solidarity with Wendy I was chained to Region's side. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, always together. And when we weren't at the table eating or in his bed with me on the very edge trying to get away from him we were in his study. He would proceed to do his work, whatever that was, and I would sit quietly on the couch either knitting, Wendy taught me or reading a book, that he would choose.

I tried to focus on the words in the sentence, but with Region's burning eyes on me, I found myself frustrated and frozen in place.

What did I do? Was I too loud? Did he need something? Did he say something and I didn't heat him?

Things like that had happened before. Either Region would comment on my eyes or hair while we were eating and I wouldn't hear him, too lost in my own train of thought. Things like these annoyed him to no end and he always snapped. He would throw a dish across the room or slap me out of my mind to get me to pay attention to him. It was only when he closed his eyes and took deep breaths that he would stop and calm down, even help me back up, get a new place, and act as if nothing had happened.

"Princess," he began as he looked at me more intensely. I looked up from my book as if I had just now noticed he had been looking.

"Yes?" He got up from the chair behind his desk and walked over to me. He didn't lean down to get to eye level with me, he never did. That would mean we were on the same level and he made it painstakingly clear that we were not. That he was the Alpha and I was to be grateful he accepted a broken Luna like me.

That was the one thing though, the one ace up my sleeve that drove him crazy, insane to the point where I was beaten for not telling him. He still didn't know what I didn't heal, he still didn't know that I was cursed. He wouldn't allow me to go outside in the first place, let alone wonder the packhouse by myself and shifting was definitely off-limits. He made sure there was no chance of me ever escaping.

"What makes you broken?" He asked, by now my breath didn't hitch whenever he asked me, because he asked me almost every day. It was killing him that he didn't know.

"You tell me," I stated plainly, he always seemed to come up with a list as to why I was so broken, so useless and such a disappointment. Figuring out to why I didn't heal very well should have been easy enough for him.