1

I stared intently at the ground as I swung back and forth on the bench swing outside the packhouse. My stomach growled I needed to focus on something else I needed to concentrate on not being hungry. There was no time to be hungry, I could grab a snack, but then I would be full when it was finally time to eat!

"Ugh! I can't take it anymore!" I yelled as I leaned back onto the bench, slumping down.

"That hungry already?" A voice said from behind me.

I turned around in a flash to be met face to face with Dillian. His soft brown hair and calm moss eyes held a hint of mischief as he smiled down to me.

"I'm famished! How much longer am I going to have to wait!" I threw my hands up in exaggeration. Dillians lips parted as a small chuckle escaped through his teeth.

"It shouldn't be that much longer, the other pack will be arriving shortly." He replied back as he moved around the bench and sat down next to me.

"You promised me there would be a huge feast! But with so many people coming I'm afraid you misused the word huge!" I crossed my arms and turned my body to face him.

"Hahaha, I'm still in awe that you're going to shift tonight, yet all you worry about is the food that comes after?"

"That's not all I'm thinking about, but the food is the only thing that makes it worth it ya know," I said as I smiled back at him.

Dillian was right though, tonight was my first-night shifting. All wolves shift at 18, but no matter when your birthday is the year you turn 18 all wolves shift on the same night each year when the moon is full. And each year one pack plays hostess to all of these new wolves. This year was my own pack's turn to host. The Bright moon pack would open its borders for any and all packs to come with their own young. Only because what also happened on a wolf's first shift is they were now able to find their mate.

"What else are you thinking about then Clover? Perhaps the thought of who your future mate will be?" Dillian teased as he moved closer to me and blush began to creep onto my face.

Dillian had shifted last year into a beautiful brown wolf, but he was unable to find his mate that night. Lucky for me, because Dillian and I had been best friends since we were little and we had both held our breath when he shifted. Of course, he wouldn't have known if I was his mate or not, but it was a relief to know no one else at the feast was either.

Now, tonight, was our last chance. We were both pretty nervous but had both agreed that no matter what happens we will be okay.

"Of course that's on my mind too! I've waited forever to find out!" The sun had begun to set now and my nerves were now getting the best on me. A strong arm was then wrapped around me as I was pulled in closer to Dillian.

"Remember, whatever happens, we'll be okay. The Moon goddess knows what she's doing and we have to trust her." I sighed, as I laid my head on his shoulder. He was right, I needed to stop thinking too much into it. Whatever happens, I'll be fine.

~~~~

Of course, now that there were 20 minutes until midnight and I was standing around a fire with all sorts of wolves from other packs I began to doubt that.

"Clover!" I turned around to see Ashlyn running towards me, she was short with long almost white-blonde hair and a thin face with delicate complections.

"Hey, Ash! Didn't think you would make it!" I joked with her as I hugged her tight.

"Don't joke! I was running so late! If it hadn't been for your dad yelling "last call" in the packhouse I probably would have missed this!" A small pout began to form on her face as she began to shiver.