27

Ash and I walked out of the library exhausted, mentally, and physically. Physically it was mostly me, but I think Ash and I would both benefit from a long nap. We began our walk back to the packhouse with the warriors hot on our heels. Even though we had accomplished a lot in retrospect we had more work to do now than we ever had. It was kind of funny, just two days ago all I needed to do was to keep a secret and now I needed to keep everything to myself along with the possibility of breaking every rule and amount of trust Alaric had instilled into me. All I was doing was telling myself it would be over soon, I hoped.

"Hey, stop worrying, we'll get through this." Ash's mind linked me.

"Ash you have to tell me if you ever want out, I might have to betray Alaric's trust, but that doesn't mean you have to betray Sander's," I told her in response. We didn't make eye contact as we talked, but I knew this had been on Ash's mind. No matter what happened we were always there for each other, but this was serious and I was already selfish enough I didn't need to drag Ash down with me.

"You know I've thought about it, but I know that no matter what happens Sander will understand. I might be locked up with you or just plane grounded, but he'll understand. Besides what kind of pack member would I be if I let the Luna go off on some dangerous adventure by herself?"

"Thanks, Ash." When we walked in through the front doors of the packhouse there was already a crowd accumulating. Lunch was being served and waiting for me right when we walked in through the doors was Alaric. He smiled at me and gave the guards a nod that they were dismissed. Sander stood next to Alaric and although I hadn't heard him talk much he seemed much more relaxed now that Ashlyn was in his line of view. I smiled at her and told her I'd see her after lunch. She agreed and we both ran over to our mates.

Once Sander and Ash hugged they both walked off to eat leaving Alaric and I alone, but not really. Even though the warriors were dismissed it didn't stop everyone coming in or sitting down to not notice the Alpha and his elusive mate, who had only ever been seen over his shoulder.

Alaric had held open his arms for me and I quickly walked into them and embarrassed him as he did to me.

"Miss me?" I asked with a small giggle. He let out a huge groan and held me tighter.

"Don't even joke about that, all I could think of was why did I move the pack's library to a separate building when I should have just left it in the basement." I looked up at Alaric and raised my eyebrow at him.

"Please tell me you at least got some work done." He shook his head and leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"None, absolutely nothing, you'll just have to come back with me to my office so I can actually get some work done." I lightly slapped his chest.

"You liar you did to get work done!" He rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand and began to lead me to one of the long, large tables. We sat in the dead center of it with me on his right and an empty seat on his left.

"Is that seat for Brett?" I asked Alaric as some plates of food were placed down in front of us.

"Yeah, he should be here shortly." Alaric didn't seem too excited about the fact that Brett would be coming to lunch, even though I suspect it was a common thing to happen.

"Are you still angry at him?" Alaric's bottom lip slipped out from under his top and all of a sudden for a quick moment it looked like Alaric was pouting.

"No, I'm not mad. He's just annoying is all." With that said he picked up his fork and dug into the food that was on his plate. Which was a heaping pile of pasta.

"Well, on a different topic, since obviously Brett is such a touchy one..." I drifted off with my sentence looking down at my food to see what Alaric would do. In response, I heard the fork in his hand hit his plate hard. From the corner of my eye, I saw Alaric whip his head in my direction very quickly.