50

There's a stupid saying about how you never know how much something means to you until you don't have it. It's such a clique, and I honestly never thought much about it. However, when you take oxygen for an example no one ever really thinks of its importance, that is until you don't have it.

From the force of the water, I was pulled under. There wasn't time to feel fear or to panic. The only thing my body could comprehend was that we needed to hold our breath. I didn't open my eyes I only had my hands extended so I could try and stop myself from being slammed into the rocks around me. After taking a sharp turn, however, I couldn't protect myself from the ones behind me. 

It was sharp. Maybe that's what if felt like to die. A jagged-edged rock jabbed into my back, knocking whatever air I had left in me. My eyes shot open as my body shook with shock. The word pain registered in my brain, but it wasn't felt in my nerves or muscles. What was worse was that I breathed in water. Now I panicked. 

I was still underwater, but I couldn't tell if there were still rocks around or if I was up or down. All I knew was that I needed air that I couldn't get. Then everything went dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Is she even alive?" 

"She's breathing..."

"Hardly."

"Shhh, he's coming." Crunch, crunch. I heard the whispers of voices and the grumble of gravel being stepped on.

"Of all the places, I never would have expected to find her here and never this easy." The voice said chuckling to itself.

"Good job," it said as I felt my weight shift and rock. Was I still underwater? My head rolled with nausea, but I felt comfort in the newfound warmth that enclosed me.

"We can carry her for you Alpha." Voices ringed in the background.

"No, you're jobs are done. Go back to the pack."

"Right away Alpha." Crunch, crunch, crunch. It took a few moments for the sounds around me to register with my brain that there were people around me and they were taking me somewhere. I knew I needed to open my eyes, I needed to find out who they were and where they were taking me. However, I had nothing left in me. It took all of my energy just to try to hold my breath and I couldn't even do that in the end. I was exhausted. 

I heard the sound of a door opening for a vehicle and the change in heat to cold, sickly leather. I groaned in discomfort at the touch of a new fabric wrapping itself around me with the sound of a click tightening it.

"Shhhh," the voice cooed me as I felt the warmth return as it brushed across my face. My eyes fluttered for a second but seeing nothing but darkness and a blurry outline of someone they closed. Finding no real importance in the information. For now, I was not in danger... at least as far as I could tell

"Now that I found you, the real fun can begin." After hearing that though my opinion began to change. I tried to tug my lips apart to try and say something, ask something, but my throat was raw and every breath I took felt forced and weighed down.

"Go back to sleep, princes, you'll be home soon."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I woke up it was still difficult for me to breathe, but I was at least thankful that I was able to do it. I had to blink a few time to adjust my sight to the brightness streaming into the room I was in. Sitting up slowly with aching arms trying to push me up I looked around.

I was in a cream-colored room. The walls were white with different shades surrounding me in the wardrobe, the two chairs, and even the coffee table in between them. There were even translucent curtains that hung down from the ceiling over the bed I laid in. Not fully covered, but more of a cloud falling apart.