Who Are You?

*Seraphine's POV*

I nearly smack my head on the door in my attempt to eavesdrop. So far nobody has spotted me outside the room where Noxodius and Alexavier speak in hushed whispers. Why are they in this room holed up like moles? Nah. Nox is a rat, only not cute or as intelligent. I smirk as I listen in.

"I owe her no explanation." I seethe. No explanation? I'm carrying your child, my life could be in danger here with this Yeomorah crap regarding that deal. I have EVERY right to know.

I continue listening until I hear, "Here we go." I nearly put my head through the door as I hear them walk to the other end, air whooshing from the window. They are sneaking out the window! A little time passes, and I open the door stealthily. Flatten all but my belly pooch as I slink along the door into the room nervously.

"What is that?" I whisper breathlessly. The far side of the room has no window. Air whips around creating a light noise, though nothing moves. Not even bed sheets. The wall has a slight movement to it, almost hypnotic. It simmers in an odd way, the way you'd image a mirage to move in the desert when your mind is fuzzy. What is that? I inch closer, grabbing a flower from a vase to chuck at it. The flower disappears and I squeak. My eyes widen. They had to have left in this! I turn back and slip out of the room, leaving the door unlocked as I rush down to where I found the library yesterday. I can not be caught near that room.

I eyed several books yesterday, which I was made to exchange. I noted where they were placed though, and I hatched myself a plan. I scan for similarly sized novels and strip the covers off, nearly tucking them over the books I intend to smuggle until they are disguised as novels and harmless incubus-succubus folklore. I practically skip back to my room, where I find Nomias waiting by my door.

"Hello, Seraphine. How's my great grandbaby this morning?"

"Fine. And so is the cow he resides in by the way." I sneer.

"I was about to ask about you. I want to apologize for my actions last night. I should not have grabbed you so roughly."

"You might as well, your grandson does."

"Are you missing him this morning? I'll be here to protect and guide you, while I can't replace him, I can provide company and all your creature comforts."

"I appreciate the offer, but for now I need time to regroup and some breakfast. I'm starving." He chuckles.

"Sit your things in your room and follow me down. We'll have breakfast, and we'll talk a bit." I don't want to follow him, but I'd raise more suspicion if I rebelled, so I sit the books in the nightstand drawer and follow him down.

I nearly slobber as I smell the foods. My stomach gurgles loudly and I can hear him laughing. He wraps an arm over my shoulder and directs me to a long table where Axar is already digging in. Mom sits beside him studying me as we enter. Nomias walks off to the counters to gather me two plates. I simply blink as I look at all the food. Eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, waffles, pancakes, yogurt, fruit. I don't believe I have ever had a feast like this, and I'm a bit uncomfortable. One of those has to be his plate. He sits both plates before me, and retrieves his own.

"Eat Itty." Mom urges as she watches me. I'm starving, but hesitant.

"Are you sure all this is for me? Others might need to eat."

"Staff eats their fill every morning. Nobody here goes hungry. Or wants for anything. Even employees live better than your average humans." Somewhat pacified, I give in to my appetite and dig in. Everything tastes delicious. I accidentally moan. I can't remember a time I've ever had this much food at once. Even Noxodius's pizza and birthday cake pales in quantity comparison. As I gorge, I notice Nomias and mother watching my belly. I tilt my head in question, mouth full of food.