No Sunshine. *possible trigger towards end of chapter *

Axar has remained silent and brooding since I got back in the car and we drove off. He keeps looking out the window, almost longing. Watching no doubt for Sera. I feel foolish now, knowing that I had orchestrated and created all this chaos. I have cost myself Sera for the moment. I have cost Axar his mother figure. Now I will have to take care of this damn child and scrounge for food again unless I feed from this sulking heap in the passenger's seat.

      I pushed too hard. Narius was right. I should have just lied the whole time, told her what she wanted to hear. I couldn't bring myself to say it though. I couldn't tell her I cared for her, or that we were together, and now I realize it was because it was true. We technically were together. In a round about way. I had taken her in and was willing to provide for her, and I have never done that before. I used the guise of pet and master to avoid the legitimate label and to have an excuse for her living with me. It was not even her idea, I dragged her into all of this. I should never have told her she wasn't fully human. I have never had my schemes blow back this on me before.

       "Nox?" He startles me out of my thoughts.

       "Yes kid?" I sigh.

       "I'm really hungry and I have to pee." He whines and turns away. "Do...do you think Sera is hungry too?" He draws up in guilt. It wasn't even of his own doing, I messed with his mind while he was asleep. It wasn't even his own outburst. I fucking hate myself. I spot a diner ahead and I pull off. Axar smiles a little as he sees the restaurant.

       "This okay?"

        "Yes. Thank you. I-I'm sorry. I don't mean to be do much trouble I-"

        "It's alright. You aren't trouble. You have to eat, it's a basic need. I forgot to ask you if you were hungry earlier. Seraphine usually..." I trail off when I notice his eyes.

        "I can't believe she did that. She killed that lady. But, I still miss her. I know she's a bad person and that it's not safe to have her around, but she was good to me until then. Do you think she'll come back?" I decide to set him straight, without admitting my part in this.

       "It's the way our kind or hybrids of us do. We have to eat, the same as you. Sera never meant to kill her, she simply cannot control her abilities just as you can't. She felt terrible and she was so guilty knowing you were going to be upset. She fought so hard to stop. Sera is not a bad person, she's overwhelmed and scared. She was only thinking to protect you. Barima warned me before she left the room to enjoy Sera while I could, foreshadowing her intentions to kill her. Which would you have rather see die?"

       "You...have you killed?" I scoff.

        "Hundreds. Unlike Sera, I didn't care if they died." I shrug.

         "That's terrible." He is silent for a bit before beginning again. "Will she come back?"

         "I'm going to find her and bring her back. She will hate me though. So I will need you to keep her calm and try to convince her to stay."

        "She's upset with me too, what if I can't?"

        "Then I will keep her with us by force. Get out now, let's go eat." I urge him out and lead him into the dinner to a booth. The diner has an older feel to it, middle aged human customers dine and a few truckers sit at the bar upfront. Our waitress nearly floats to us, her arousal obvious as she eyes me while waiting for our order. Axar orders his food, and I take a steak sandwich. I'm nervous about this as I typically do not eat human food, but I'll need something for strength until I can feed again. The waitress. I grin.