The Common Denominator.

I protectively stalked my food source through the house as Barima pulled her along to a sitting area. The entire time she looked to me smugly as she pulled the awkward and humble Seraphine along. I narrowed my eyes to her in warning. She'll be sensing her own death if she tries what I think she thinking. Sera sat down beside her own the sofa, Axar flying to them to sit on the other side of his new mom. Sera introduced them both and smiled, but I could feel the suspicion flare in her as she observed this woman.

       "Nox, please join us." She grins mischievously as she motions me to sit on the sofa across from them. "So, might I ask what brings you all here?"

       "Yes. We have a little banhee here who is having some issues trying to hone his skills. I was hoping to ask for your help."

       "Ahh. I see..." She thinks for a minute, dramatically,  finger to her chin. "I could possibly help him, but I will expect something in return." I wrinkle my nose, not one for theatrics.

      "What would you like?"

       "I'll tell you later..."

       "I'm not fond of surprises or manipulation. I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into."

       "But you manipulate so well. You already know what you're getting into." She teases. Sera sits stoic, taking in everything as she notes every word or move. She's turned her body so that she blocks Axar. I can almost feel the tremble of coiled muscle, ready to pounce at the first sign of trouble. Axar remains just as clueless and excited as ever.

       "You tell me before we leave. If you telk me after we've departed, I will not honor your request." This seems to fluster her, as she looks back to the others then at me. I decide to read her mind, but she has a block. A spell. Clever wench.

       "Fine, but I'll tell you alone." She adds. I nod in agreement. "Now, where to start..." She trails off in thought before she comes back. "Axar, honey, what seems to be giving you the most trouble? This will give me an idea what I'm working with."

       "I...well...I just recently discovered what I am. I suppose I just want to know what I can do, what I need to avoid and stuff, what to do with this information. I can sense the death, but I can't pinpoint them or do anything about it. I just know whenever someone carries the aura of it with them. I don't entirely understand what it means." Barima nods in thought.

         "You can't prevent it child. I know that's tough to hear, but you can't. Most of the times it is already in action.  You can get close, but until your premonitions begin, you won't be able pinpoint exactly who. Sometimes premonitions can be so vague they are useless. The aura means death is connected to them through a person, or they are connected themselves. Tge stronger the aura, the more eminent the closer it is till their time or whoever's time is up. Far as abilities, your scream is everything. You can work it different ways depending on tone and force. You can temporarily disable enemies, warn others or silence then so you might focus, you can bust a mortal's eardrums and even cause their death by sound alone should you over exert. You can also bounce or sound or echo it for more effect. Just try it out somewhere and you'll see how you can use it."

       "That's so cool! It's a bit overwhelming though. So I can't help people with my premonitions?"

       "You can try honey, but all my attempts have been in vain. Now some have had success. Fate is tedious though, sometime it's set in stone but other times it varies with the paths we take. You should avoid iron too, by the way..." She rolls her sleeve to showcase a huge burn scar. Axar gasps.

        "If several people all have the aura, and they are all friends, how would you figure that out?" He blurts. Barima arches her brows.

        "Well, kid, there are several different possibilities there. One, they each know another person who will die. Two, they each will die. Three, is a mix between them or somebody they know dying. Four, four is my safe bet. It's rarely off. Four, you look at the common denominator.  Who do all those people have in common? Or what do they share?" Axar's eyes round and my stomach shifts uneasily.

       "I don't know if you all realize, but you all three have the aura. It's subtle, but it is there." Barima adds in a low tone.

      There is only us. We share nobody else in common. Unless we count that they met Narius? Does he count? My mind swirls. I feel restless once again, my leg muscles twitch nervously as I continue to process. Sera has Axar's hand trying to calm him. I expected her to be in panic, not having known that Axar had sensed it on her as well, but she seems more worried about keeping the boy safe. She then looks to me, color draining from her face before she can mask it. In her mind I can see her thinking about my episode last night. I flick my tongue at her to anger her to diffuse the worry in her eyes. It makes me feel strange to see her worry. I like her concern, but something just feels so wrong seeing her so anxious for Axar and myself.

         "Nox, do you mind if we have a word alone?" Barima rises and shoots a hostile look towards Sera now, apparently no longer finding her arousing as she had earlier. Her shifty behavior is odd and Sera's typically passive demeanor is nowhere to be found. She doesn't even flinch at Barima's glare, but Barima becomes nervous and looks away.

     "Certainly." I rise to join her, stroking Sera's head as I do. "I will not be long." I tell her.

       I follow Barima to the back of the house where she shuts us into a room. Her arousal flares and she pulls me against her taking my mouth in hers.

        "Time to hold up your end of the deal. Give me what I want. Give me what I'vehad before..." She whispers.

         "Before?" She let's go of me like a hot coal.

         "You!" Her lips roll as she looks me over. "You don't even remember me! Or us!" I shrug. What does she expect? I've been alive for decade upon decades. I've had so many women, and their grandmothers. She didn't stand out enough to reserve specific space in my memory.

         "If it's any consolation, I don't remember 99% of those I've fucked." I say bluntly. I reach into the billfold hand grab a stack of cash I rarely used. "Here. Now I've paid you for your services."

        "Don't you dare leave! You really brought your new bitch here and that bastard kid to ask for my services and now you deny me?"

         "She was a snack earlier, and a bitch now?"

          "I thought we were going to share her. You've flirted with her in there and rubbed her right in my face." She goes to exit. "Enjoy her while you can." She slams the door as I rush after her.