The Mistake.

Narius has been gone for a few hours now. Sera slumbers peacefully on the couch as an uncomfortable and awkward Axar sits beside her, standing guard. He almost seems nervous to turn his back on me. Several times I snap up from my seat, just to watch him jump and try to predict my actions. He eventually grows tired of my toying with him and remains stoic, hovered beside his only ally. Finally, he severes the silence between us.

"Here we are. What do you want from us?" I grin as he fights the tremble in his voice to sound more in control. His hand squeezes Sera's as she remains sleeping for reassurance.

"How old are you, Axar?" I prop my feet on the table and recline lazily. Sitting forward with my elbows and my knees watching him was making him much too nervous, so I hope the change in my body language will help him to relax.

"I-I'm fourteen." I raise my brows. By his height and bravery I had figured him to be at least sixteen. He really is a child. No wonder Sera would go to such lengths to protect him. Generativity in a sense. Protecting and nurturing those younger than her so they might be more successful in life than she has turned out to be. She's trying to give him the head start she never had. Then she feeds from his joy. She craves happiness and affection so much that she will create it in others, just to feed from it so she may feel it too. I believe I'm starting to get an understanding of the woman who has managed to infatuate me.

"How old are you...?"

"Noxodius. You may call me Nox. I hadn't realized I never properly introduced myself. I expected that Sera had spoken of me to you. To answer your question, I have lost count of the years. I've long surpassed the age of most human's great great grandparents. When you have bountiful time, you do not count and cherish the years as mortals do." I smile at him and he gives a nervous chuckle. His mind tells me he's recalled a joke.

"She either called you 'Noxema' or 'the thing'. I'm sorry, but it's kind of funny. She never told me much about you or why she don't like you, but I guess that you've made her pretty mad!" A small bit of my pride is admittedly dented at her refusal to use my name. Names are a big deal among demons and their like. "So...so you must be really old! Have you seen lots of things like from history?"

"I did. She probably hates me. Yes, I was alive when the Titanic sank. I remember the Civil War. My brother remembers the Salem Witch trials." His jaw drops and I run a hand through my hair and laugh.

"Wooah. That's pretty cool. Sera...will Sera be okay?" He finally looks back to her, daring to break eye contact with me. He ghosts a finger across her jaw and looks to me. "Her jaw. It's better. It healed?" He whispers excitedly.

"Yes. We tend to heal quickly, even half breeds, which we suspect Sera is. Has she told you anything about her family? I'm particularly interested in her parents."

"She doesn't know her mom. Her dad is Samael. She told me a little about him. Mainly that he was never really a parent, and that he named her. She told you guys that too though." Samael. Samael. I make note to remember that name.

"Anything about her extended family?"

"No. I don't think she knows them. She never mentions anything about any of them, or even friends. Outside of her dad, or coworkers, I haven't heard her mention a single person." We stay silent as I think this over in my head.

"Nox?"

"Yes?"

"If I tell you something, will you swear to me never to tell Sera? I only tell you this, because it might be important to you too."