Vindication.

I watch from a distance as Ezekiel and Axar ease her onto the floor from her feet. Her sides heave and she seems injured and tired. She will live though, unlike my brother. I can't understand how this all happened, and I find it even more ludicrous that she would have me believe that Samael came to her aid. I want to go to her even still, but the look of grief across my parent's faces snuffs the idea. Still, I need to address her. I have to call her on her misdeeds.

I excuse myself from my family, and I make my way over to her. Axar and Ezekiel have been healed by her hands save for Ezekiel's deeper wounds. The two work in tandem on Seraphine's now. I notice with her hiked top that her sides and stomach are bruised and welted. She appears to have a gash on her throat. Her arm is bruised and swollen. Her face is swollen.

"Seraphine." She looks up to me with vulnerability in her eyes. I'm certain to mask mine. I look blankly down on her. "You have caused my family a great deal of grief."

"I thought we were your family too? I caused nothing. I saved your life. Your legacy. I lost half my family today too Nox. We went into this knowing the risks."

"I'm aware, and that is on you as well. We had a plan. Why did you not follow it?"

"Because I didn't get the opportunity to end things as I had planned. I couldn't possess you or Yeomorah, you both avoided my eyes. See my memories Nox. Look into my mind. Why would I lie? I'm telling the truth."

"I don't want to touch you." I snap.

"Then check your precious grandfather's."

"I don't need to. We are taking my brother and his mate to bury. I expect you to tell me when the baby is close to being born. I think we need time apart." I turn to leave her.

"If you loved him like you pretended, you'd have never fucked his whore! Much of this is your fault, if you really want to push blame. As for my child, I'll never tell you in this lifetime if you leave me here like this. When you realize I am the only one here who's been honest with you, it will be too late."

"I just need time to sort this out."

"Sory out what Time? Seriously? What the fuck Nox? Time waits for no man, and neither will I, but you will hear my side before you leave here. I am not going down like this. I'm not the villain here!" She wobbles to her feet and flings herself at me, clutching my shirt. "I didn't lose half my family and come this far to end it on this note. Check my memories you son of a bitch!" She shakes me.

"Get your hands off my son, unless you want to lose yours too!" My mother shouts. Seraphine's dark eyes sparkle as she dons an unstable smirk.

"Then let him check your memories, Mileva. Let him see what happened. I'm sorry for your son, but taking this all out on me is wrong. We both know I did not kill him and I did not intend to. I did kill Livienne, but she was holding me up from protecting people that mattered. Nox deserves the truth. Whatever he does with it, I won't argue. If he walks, I'll let go. If he leaves without even trying to hear me out, I'll be out of his life forever. You'd all love that, wouldn't you?"

"He's my son. He believes me. I shouldn't have to prove myself."

"Then allow me." Seraphine retorts.

I collect myself, trying not to let our proximity sway me. My body has and always will betray me for Sera though, despite where my head might be. It then occurs to me how selfish I am being. I was willing to risk I sk life and limb for this female, yet here I am yet again doubting her. Lashing out at her. She was right about Livienne. If mother has nothing to hide she would relent. Could she be right about mother? If Seraphine is willing to endure all of my mistreatment and abuse, and still have my back after everything then I owe it to her to at least see her side.