one-shot #19

Prompt: The reader has feelings for Hermione and confesses, but Hermione likes someone else.

'You can do this. What's the worst that could happen?' I thought to myself as I sat in potions class with Snape.

My leg was bouncing up and down out of anxiety.

My best friend Cedric realized and looked at me. "What's on your mind? You're bouncing your leg like a mad man [Y/n]."

I rolled my eyes. "None of your concern Mr. Diggory. Now if you'll excuse me I'm trying to take notes."

Cedric shrugged and went back to his work.

I don't think I've ever been this nervous for something in my life.

After class I went to the library to find Hermione. Hermione Granger. I had fancied her for a while now and I thought I should tell her.

I arrived at the library and held my breath for a few seconds. 'It's okay, you've got this.' 

I walked in and waved at Madam Pince. She nodded.

I found my way to the back of the library where Hermione was usually sat.

I approached a frizzy haired brunette that had her nose in a book. "Hey Mione. Can I sit?"

She looked up at me and smiled. "Of course, no need to ask."

I sat down quietly. "So I need to-"

She cut me off. "Is everything alright? You're awfully quiet today."

Being quiet wasn't a normal thing for me so she was concerned.

"Actually, I need to talk to you about something. Something quite important to me." I looked down.

"Well what is it?" Her brows tilted up in concern.

"Well.." I sighed and looked at her. "I fancy you Hermione. I have for a while now."

Hermione's eyes widened in shock. "[Y/n], I don't know what to say, I-"

"Let me finish. Please."

She nodded.

"I've fancied you for a good while now, and I felt as if I should tell you. I've just always felt something there." My leg started bouncing again.

Stop it.

Stop bouncing or she'll know you're nervous.

"[Y/n], I'm flattered, really.." She sighed. "But I fancy someone else." 

I stop bouncing my leg and looked at her.

My heart broke.

All I could manage to get out was a simple, "Oh."

Hermione frowned. "I really am sorry."

I stood up and shook my head. "No, it's alright. I was foolish for ever thinking I had the chance." I turned around to leave. "I'll see you around Mione."