one-shot # 31

Prompt: The reader dies in the war and Hermione didn't get to tell them her feelings.

Bolts of green light were being fired everywhere. No one was really sure what was happening. No one was sure it actually was happening.

Y/N was outside the main door, running from Death Eaters that were casting spells left and right.

From the other side of the courtyard, Hermione Granger spotted Y/N.

She had always loved her, but considering they've been best friends since they both attended their first year at Hogwarts she was too scared to ever tell her how she felt. But today she was scared she'd never get to tell her how she felt, so she was going to do it.

In the middle of a war.

With the most dangerous people in the world.

Smart plan, right?

She started running towards Y/N, fending off spells and Death Eaters. She kept getting closer and closer, and eventually Y/N spotted her.

Y/N froze and stared at her for a moment, taking in Hermione's beauty, even during the war. To Y/N, Hermione was a breath of fresh air during this.

Little to Hermione's knowledge, Y/N has liked her ever since 4th year. That's when Y/N started to question everything she knew about herself. Such as how her parents had set her and Cedric Diggory up but she never actually felt anything for him.

And how Hermione Granger had suddenly become a lot prettier and Y/N now wanted to always be around her.

She had always been Y/N's favorite person too. They instantly got along when the first met and they've gotten along their whole time at Hogwarts.

Y/N's brain ran through every possible situation that could happen with Hermione in this moment.

She could run up and kiss her.

She could turn on her and kill her.

She could hug her and tell her everything will be okay.

She could be killed right in front of her.

Then she remembered that there was a literal war going on and she was frozen right in the middle of it. So she started running to meet Hermione halfway.

She almost made it. Almost.

But a red bolt of light struck her before she could. The cruciatus curse caused pain to sear through her body. She had never felt this much pain in her life.

Bellatrix Lestrange, probably the most dangerous Death Eater of the bunch, stood over her.

"Poor thing, such a shame you have to go so early."

And with that all Y/N could see was black. Everything was gone. There was no noise, nothing there.

Hermione stopped in her place and dropped to her knees.

"No. NO! Y/N!" Tears welled in her eyes.

She never got to tell the girl she loved how she felt, and she knew that even once she moved on (maybe), she'd remember this day forever.

But Y/N watched over her for the rest of Hermione's life after the war. She watched Hermione grow old with Ron, and loved seeing how beautiful and handsome her kids were.

Sure, it hurt seeing her marry and have kids with someone else, but she was just glad Hermione had found someone meant for her.

Even though Y/N could watch over her and see everything going on, she still never knew that Hermione had loved her for the rest of her life.