one-shot #35

Back to December - Taylor Swift

January 12th, 1997

Y/N stood at the entrance of the library with a bouquet of roses in her hand, one of them already wilting. She took a deep breath in and finally walked into the library, making her way through the magical floating bookshelves. She paused when she saw a curly-headed Gryffindor sitting at her usual spot.

Y/N cautiously walked up to her and gently tapped her shoulder, "Hermione, hi."

She turned around and they were both frozen as soon as their eyes interlocked. Hemione was the first to break the silence between the two, "Y/N, hello."

Y/N eyed the seat next to her, "Can I sit?"

"Sure."

She took a seat and held out the flowers. "For you."

"Thank you."

"How've you been?"

Hermione paused, contemplating being civil or making a snarky comment. "Fine, and yourself?"

"Yeah, fine as well," Y/N paused. "What've you been up to? How's Harry and Ron."

"They're fine too. And just the usual, studying, reading. All of that."

Y/N shifted in her seat, "Yeah, I figured. You always had your nose in a book."

It's been months since the two talked. After their messy breakup - crying, hugging, yelling, fighting - Y/N finally decided to reach out to Hermione and ask for them to talk.

A few moments of silence passed by, and Hermione spoke again. "What's this really about, Y/N?"

Y/N looked down at her hands, trying to steady her legs that were bouncing uncontrollably. "I wanted to apologize." She brought her gaze back up to meet Hermione's. "For everything; the breakup, how it happened, all of it."

"You apologized then, I'm not sure what else you have to say now." Hermione tried to stay strong, but Y/N could tell from the wobble of her voice that she was about to break.

"I didn't come here to upset you Hermione, I'm sorry. Every night since then I can't sleep. It's like that night is the only thing that's been on my mind since then." Y/N herself wiped her eyes to stop tears from falling down her face. "I mean, I couldn't even bring myself to say something on your birthday."

Hermione was silent. She was biting the inside of her cheek to stop herself from cracking, but even she knew that soon it wouldn't help.

"There's nothing I can ever do to make it up to you. Nothing at all, and I know that, and-" Y/N's voice cracked, "And I'm so sorry. I'd do anything in my power to try and fix the mess I made, but I know I can't, so all I can do is apologize."

Y/N stood up and looked down at Hermione, who started to cry. She placed a kiss on the top of her head, and the Gryffindor let her. "Goodbye, Mione."

She walked away from where the two were sitting, and wondered if this would be the last time the two spoke again, but hoped it wouldn't be.

Unknown to her, Hermione also hoped it wouldn't be the last time either.