one-shot #34

Y/N sat in the great hall with her best friend, Pansy Parkinson. They enjoyed the breakfast time they got together before they had to take their dreadful classes. A few moments later, Draco Malfoy strutted over to the two of them, planted a kiss onto Y/N's lips, and sat down next to her.

"Good morning, love." He placed his hand on her thigh underneath the table.

"Good morning, Draco." She smiled.

Pansy faked a gagged. "You two are sickening." Draco chuckled and Y/N flashed a quick smile. She looked around the great hall and to the entrance, where a bustling group of students was walking in. She took notice of a boy with frazzled hair and glasses almost too large for his face rushing to the end of the great hall.

"What's got Potter in such a rush this morning?"

Pansy shrugged and Draco scowled. "Whatever it is, I'm hoping it will distract him enough from the quidditch game this evening. I hate to admit it but he's quite talented on the pitch."

Y/N rolled her eyes. She thought the rivalry between the Slytherin and Gryffindor quidditch teams was pure stupidity and never understood why it bothered Draco so much.

She never understood Draco, really. He was a cute guy, and she knew deep down he had a heart of gold that was reserved for Y/N and only Y/N. She knew that he loved her — was in love with her — but she could never feel the way for him that he did for her. Until a few months ago she never understood why.

Not until a certain curly-headed, brown-eyed girl strutted her way into potions class with a look of utter determination on her face at the beginning of sixth year.

She lifted her gaze and it was met across the hall by that said girl — Hermione Granger.

Something about the girl had Y/N infatuated. Maybe it was her brilliance, or her soft, chocolate eyes. Or maybe it was the gentle touches on Y/N's skin after they had snuck out to the astronomy tower together.

Or it was quite possibly that Hermione was the first person that has ever made Y/N's heart flutter like it does.

"What's on your mind darling? Thinking about how we're going to destroy Gryffindor's team later?" Draco turned Y/N's head towards her and planted a deep kiss on her lips.

Y/N pulled away shortly after to look back at Hermione, who soon after gritted her teeth and turned back to her best friends to continue the conversation.

———

Y/N was alone, making her way back from the bathrooms after the quidditch game when she her a pair of brisk footsteps behind her. She turned around, and before she could even register what was happening, she found herself pulled into a broom closet on the fourth floor.

Even though the light was off, Y/N could still identify who she was in there with. The smell of fresh parchment and vanilla flooded her senses.

"Hermione, couldn't wait for tonight?"

The girl across from her scoffed and turned on the light. "I'm sorry to say but I won't be joining you for any... 'shenanigans' tonight Y/N." She took a step back from her and leaned against a shelf in the closet, saying silent prayers in her head that nothing would fall and give the girls location away.

"What're you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the great hall, Y/N. Kissing Draco, turning back to me to make sure I saw it."

Y/N scoffed. "I didn't ask him to kiss me Hermione, if that's what you're insinuating."

"You may not have asked him but you let him." Hermione took a deep breath in, and a few moments later broke the silence. "Why are you even still with him? You clearly don't love him the way he does you."

Y/N's eyes widened, and she felt a sudden defensiveness come over her. "What are you even on about? Of course I love him, he's my boyfriend and I-"

"You didn't even say it back today. Before the game earlier, after potions. He said 'I love you' and all you said was 'I'll see you later, good luck.' If anyone else knew you like I did they'd publicly call out your bullshit in a second!"

Hermione took a deep breath, and the girl paused. She opened her mouth to speak but Hermione cut her off. "I'm not finished. What's the point of us seeing each other every night if you're going to stay with him. I thought we had something going on, Y/N."

"We do have something Hermione." She reached for the girls hand but she pulled away.

"Then why haven't you swallowed your pride and broken up with him? It's not doing us any good. No one benefits from this."

Y/N paused. The awkward sound of silence creeped into the closet with the girls. It was overwhelmed to Y/N. The way they could go from arguing to saying nothing within just one second.

"Because I'm scared Hermione! I'm fucking terrified, OK? Is that what you want to hear?" She sighed in defeat. The idea of being caught with Hermione nearly sent her over the edge of a cliff. She was terrified to even admit to herself that what they had going on behind closed doors was normal. How would she publicly admit to it?

"You don't have to be scared, Y/N. You know how everyone here is, they don't care-"

"But I do. I care. My family cares. How am I supposed to have the perfect life if I screw something as big as this up?" The tightness of the closet was starting to get to her. She reached down to the doorknob and started to twist it. "I'm sorry, I need to go."

In one swift movement, before Hermione could say anything, Y/N left. Was Hermione right? Would everything be okay if she allowed herself to be free? Or would her world crumble around her feet?

a/n: this is part 1 of this one shot, im just running out of ideas on how to move it forward lol, hope you enjoy the first bit of content you've gotten in a while!!